Disappointments with my DR650GW 1CH

Ralph2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900x-Plus in 2022 Palisade replaced the 650
I have had my DR650GW 1CH for a week now, yesterday completed the hard wiring, so this is it. And I am disappointed in so many ways.
  • Picture quality, initially wow.. but on closer evaluation there is an awful lot of aliasing. (I hope aliasing is the right term to describe the jagged edges of the video)
  • WiFi, one of the points of purchasing this.. but. The app to view the files on my Samsung Tab2 leaves so very much to be desired in features. Perhaps features depend on the device but viewing on the Samsung Tab2 is really painful. There seems to be no way to easily switch from view to the list of files, it is one or the other.. with a delay. At the end of viewing one (and you have to view the whole thing) it goes back to the list display. There is no fast forward.. zoom.. pause... the only thing I have access to is the scroll bar where one can grab and slide.
  • The PC program is kind of cool, initially.. but it too suffers from a lot of missing abilities. You can not select more than one file at a time to delete. This leave the quick solution of a format.. but if there are one or two clips you want to save.. you are out of luck.
  • By default the PC viewer open at 37% where aliasing is really bad.. you can increase the zoom with the mouse wheel but never to 100%.. (under or over to 200%) where one would assume the aliasing would be least. You can not resize the program.. the default or full screen. AND you can not connect with WiFi.. which seems to be a major omission on a device that lists WiFi as a feature.
  • Without WiFi to connect the PC one needs to remove the micro memory card.. not easy for someone with stubby finger or no fingernails.
  • Selecting the correct time is totally daft. Instead of time ones to select one is greeted with almost every city in the world.. including some in Antarctica ?? Why a device that connects to GPS needs to have its clock set is beyond me.
Just a few.. no doubt I will find more as time goes on.. or get used to them.. or BlackVue may update their programs but the viewers have been around for some time so I am not expecting anything soon.

While poking around on this forum I came across a tread about another viewer.. http://www.registratorviewer.com/download_en.html and thought what the heck.. is it generic.. specific to a particular brand.. are the BlackVue video files proprietary? The download link gives an option to download RegistratorViewer.exe which seems to be a stand alone viewer. And it works just great on my PC Windows 7.
Browsed to the micro card.. selected all the files n I:\BlackVue\Record. The program seems to group them into parked and driving groups where you can then watch the video or the parked sequences using the scroll bar to find your selected place. The GPS function works showing altitude as well and the map automatically shows the route.
And.. the images are much much clearer (less aliasing) than the viewer BlackVue provides :):)

Wifi function is only to live view video on your smart phone or tablet. You can also copy the video to your smart phone and transfer to your computer. You don't need any viewer to browse the videos. It is just stored in the record folder on the micro sd card in .MP4 file.

Can you post some night time and parking mode videos to youtube if you got a chance? Thanks.

Wifi function is only to live view video on your smart phone or tablet.
Which in my opinion.. makes the WiFi feature useless. I do not have a smart phone so can not speak to what features or viewing abilities are available. On my Samsung Tab2 I can watch live vue... and that pretty well limits what one can do. There is not enough memory to load ~ the contents of my micro card.. there is no ability to see the GPS route.. the file structure is just a random set of numbers.
The camera is fine.. the ability to view.. without taking the micro chip out and using the USB adapter is a joke.. and a cruel one at that.

Wifi function is only to live view video on your smart phone or tablet. You can also copy the video to your smart phone and transfer to your computer. You don't need any viewer to browse the videos. It is just stored in the record folder on the micro sd card in .MP4 file.
Can you post some night time and parking mode videos to youtube if you got a chance? Thanks.
or....directly upload to YouTube too from your smartphone

Back