Help with external batteries please?

TopsyKretts

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
Hi, first of all, I want to let you guys know that I have a very minimal knowledge about batteries, voltage, car electric wiring and so on.

Few years ago I purchased Blackvue DR-400HD II hooked to a external battery from TpowerC, it's still going great until now.

Few months ago I purchased a new car and thinking to get a dual channel camera with external battery again. However I didn't remembered that the battery cost so damn expensive, but still, I'm against the idea of hooking up my dashcam straight to my car battery. I thought that using an external battery would be safer, maybe I'm wrong? So my question that I need help is:

1. For dual channel dashcam, do I need 2 external batteries? 1 for each camera? Or does both camera somehow connected to just one power source?

2. I read some threads in this forums regarding the use of powerbanks but they are full with electricity jargon like voltage different, and so on. I only understand about capacity which is in milliampere. But looking from all the comments with my little understanding, it seems that it's possible to use powerbanks. But which one that I can use? Any specific requirements?

3. What is the differences between external battery pack like Tpower or Cellink B with powerbanks? Looking at the price difference surely there must be a big difference in both batteries? I know that both are using 18650s battery, probably manufactured by Samsung or LG.

4. Any suggestion for best picture dual channel dash cam that can stand heat? I live in a southeast asia where there are only 2 seasons: summer and rainy season where all days are still hot.

Any helps to these questions is greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

1- You should be able find the info on this in the forum for the specific camera you're considering. I have no direct knowledge of this myself.

2- As long as the powerbank has a USB output connector, that will supply the 5V usually required. You can also use a 12V output and go through a separate voltage reducer which may be supplied with the cam. The maH rating of the powerbank essentially related to how long it will run- that is how capacity is measured. Over time and use battery capacity falls so start with something a little bigger than you think you need.

3- Price point usually indicates cell quality and capacity. My experience with LIon rechargeables is with flashlights, but the "word on the street" is that the better grades of Samsung and Panasonic cells are good. Dashcams have a lower discharge rate than flashlights so you can judge what you want by cell capacity. Avoid cheap off-brand or unmarked cells, especially those ending in "fire", as many are fakes, do not meet the specified maH given, or are of low quality and will not last. The worst ones are dangerous when charged too rapidly which many cheap chargers and charge circuits do. The subject of LIon cells and powerbanks alone would fill a forum so easiest to just stay with the units people recommend on this site. If you want to learn more about batteries and cells, check http://budgetlightforum.com/ or http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

4- Kind of new to this myself, but check the forums on this site regarding the cams you're considering. More good unbiased info and expertise can be found on this site than any other regarding dashcams!

Phil

1- You should be able find the info on this in the forum for the specific camera you're considering. I have no direct knowledge of this myself.

2- As long as the powerbank has a USB output connector, that will supply the 5V usually required. You can also use a 12V output and go through a separate voltage reducer which may be supplied with the cam. The maH rating of the powerbank essentially related to how long it will run- that is how capacity is measured. Over time and use battery capacity falls so start with something a little bigger than you think you need.

3- Price point usually indicates cell quality and capacity. My experience with LIon rechargeables is with flashlights, but the "word on the street" is that the better grades of Samsung and Panasonic cells are good. Dashcams have a lower discharge rate than flashlights so you can judge what you want by cell capacity. Avoid cheap off-brand or unmarked cells, especially those ending in "fire", as many are fakes, do not meet the specified maH given, or are of low quality and will not last. The worst ones are dangerous when charged too rapidly which many cheap chargers and charge circuits do. The subject of LIon cells and powerbanks alone would fill a forum so easiest to just stay with the units people recommend on this site. If you want to learn more about batteries and cells, check http://budgetlightforum.com/ or http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php

Phil

Thanks for the response Phil, but question #2 still unanswered, I was wondering if people can use the cheaper method of powerbanks, why would anyone get external battery pack for dashcam, which is way more expensive than even a good powerbank cost. Also, does the new dashcams model powered by USB input?

Almost all dashcams use a 5V input, with almost all being the mini-USB format at the cam. There are a few exceptions so you have to check specific models to know.

Cost isn't everything to everyone, and some power options are better for specific situations. For instance I'm going to add a full-sized second battery to my workvan (probably a deep-cycle but may start with what I have around here already) because it makes sense for me and what I need to do. It's not a good choice for most who would only be powering a dashcam only- I have more than that I seek back-up for. As an electronics hobbyist I do not use powerbanks, I can build better for less myself were I to need one, so all I can offer there is to say check the other forums starting here: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/forums/batteries-and-capacitors.87/ Specific cam forums will have even more powerbank reviews which weren't posted here. mAh ratings and build quality are the main things to look at with these.

I'm not trying to avoid answering your question, I simply don't know any more than this because manufactured powerbanks don't interest me, but I know the info is here in the site from having browsed a large part of it already. If my memory was better I'd point you to those better answers! Maybe someone else will come along to help soon.

Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, I want to ask you to clarify something.

Are you saying that you are looking to buy a battery that automatically charges from the car when the car is on and then powers the camera when the car is off?

Or are you saying that you want to have a battery that powers the camera without ever touching the cars electrical system?

Both are completely unnecessary!

As Phil was kind of eluding to... These small lithium-ion batteries are not going to give you the bang for the buck that a car battery will. The $30-40 blackvue part that automatically cuts power after a certain time or battery voltage combined with a very high quality car battery is going to provide you with more recording time than a spare lithium ion battery system with the added benefit of giving you a better battery for your car.

I am unsure as to if you can buy batteries from Optima where you live but they make what is called the Optima Yellow Top deep cycle battery. It is made for much more extreme use than simply running a little surveillance camera. What makes it much different than a normal battery is that it is designed to be able to be used up and then quickly charged without damaging the battery. So you can use the blackvue part to automatically shut down the supply once the battery gets low that way your car still starts and then when you start the car up and the alternator quickly charges the battery you will not have to worry about the battery being damaged over time.

They are such good batteries that they have a 3 year warranty that covers using them for extreme duty usage like professional car audio systems and they even cover them being used in multiple battery systems! They even cover the battery in multiple battery systems that don't have battery management just not quite as long.

If you can't get an Optima then try to find a very high quality deep cycle battery. The key is deep cycle. If you set the auto off device to kill the connection at about 50% battery you'll still have plenty to start and car and 50% of a yellow top is going to be much more than any of those $150 lipo battery systems!

Back