Tobi@s

App Developer
Reaction score
Country
Germany
Dash Cam
none
Good evening,
I finally found some time to publish an issue I had with the camera..
In July I had a car crash with a 0803 mounted to my windshield. After the accident I decided to review the camera footage directly on the camera and was disappointed for the first time: The corresponding video was "Invalid". I removed the SD-Card afterwards to avoid more damage and i thought I might be able to repair the damaged .avi at home. Thats when I got disappointed for the second time: The video file was gone. The last file was from 1 minute before the accident. I also checked it again in my 0803 - but the "invalid" video wasnt there anymore. So I conclude: It has been deleted while I tried to watch it (the "invalid" one).

Just wanted to report this here, probably doesnt matter anymore since the camera is already outdated - but still.. argh!

Oh and I almost forgot to add some important things: Yeah, I used a modified firmware with bitrate fixed to ~30mbps and a 32GB class10 sdcard. Not sure if it has something to do with it but all other files seemed ok.. And I also set the G-sensor to 3.5G - it probably wouldnt have happened if I had set it to "close" (disabled).

Tobi, was the power interrupted as a result of the crash, or did you pull the card while it was still recording? If the file doesn't complete writing at shutdown, you'll get corruption like that. As for it deleting, no clue. Sorry that happened to you. But that's how Murphy works.

That sucks. I think the ultimate disappointment is finding out the video is missing after a moment of truth incident. (especially after being involved in dashcam related stuff for so long)

Out of every product I've tried and tested over the past few years, Ambarella based systems have been the least stable for me.

Tobi, was the power interrupted as a result of the crash, or did you pull the card while it was still recording? If the file doesn't complete writing at shutdown, you'll get corruption like that. As for it deleting, no clue. Sorry that happened to you. But that's how Murphy works.
Haha no, power was not interrupted. I turned off ignition and the camera powered off normally (I guess). Guess it has something to do with file locking (emergency lock)..

That sucks. I think the ultimate disappointment is finding out the video is missing after a moment of truth incident. (especially after being involved in dashcam related stuff for so long)

Out of every product I've tried and tested over the past few years, Ambarella based systems have been the least stable for me.
Yeah it really sucks. Unfortunately their chipset is so interesting haha

Guess it has something to do with file locking (emergency lock)..
Could this be the same problem that I have with my 0806 losing files when using manual-protect-video?
Surely such a serious flaw couldn't go unnoticed over several iterations of a product???

WOW! Sorry this happened and thank you for posting. After my battery puffing issues I have been looking for other options. This has definitely nailed the Mini coffin shut for me.

In case of similar problems you can try to use recuva on the memory card, and you will get the missing file.

In case of similar problems you can try to use recuva on the memory card, and you will get the missing file.
Yeah you are right but I didn't think about that when it happened cause I didnt really need the video to prove something cause I was/am the guilty one haha

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
I also know another recovery software which saved my ass when I accidentally wiped my phones memory card: PhotoRec
While Recuva and EaseUs recoveries failed, PhotoRec was able to recover all of my files

Good to know, I'll be bookmarking that idea for any future emergencies I or other customers have.

I also know another recovery software which saved my ass when I accidentally wiped my phones memory card: PhotoRec
While Recuva and EaseUs recoveries failed, PhotoRec was able to recover all of my files

PhotoRec/TestDisk are the best programs to recover lost partitions/file systems/files ...

Get your free(GPL software) copy for Linux/Mac OS X/Windows from: http://www.cgsecurity.org/

Back