Video recording freezes on engine start, sound continues.

tzoykas

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello everybody

I have installed my C3 on my motorcycle and although it starts recording fine when I turn the bike switch on (the camera is powered from the main switch in a normal dashcam configuration), as soon as I start the engine the recording of video freezes but the sound continues to be recorded. I have figured out that the exact time of the freeze is when the motor actually starts, not while the starter is turning the crank (that is, if the starter fails to start the motor, the camera keeps recording normally). The video doesn't black out, instead it freezes in the frame that was on during motor start and this still picture is copied to the rest of the video. I would think that some instant loss of power shuts the dashcam off however the sound keeps recording normally without any hitch at the time the picture freezes.

The card is a 64GB card that has been tested and found to be ok. The camera is turned to loop recording and the video is 1080P

Has this happened to anybody else? and if yes, any idea as to how to fix it? The camera proves practically useless.

Thanks in advance
George

The cable from lens needs to be tightened.
I had same issue with different camera.
The audio works because it's on the body.

I would never think of that! It already looks like it's a snug fit to the camera but I'll give it a try.

Much appreciated

what lens do you have? this happened to me quite a few times with the wide angle lens but i have never seen it again since using the narrow angle lens.

perhaps a power filtering issue?

try turning on your engine first and then plugging in the USB power cable.

will it record then?

It is the wide angle lens. I have tried tightening it a bit but now it writes corrupt files. I will have to remove the installation and do a bench test first.
Stumpy, I´ll try that as well and let you all know.

Thanks for the suggestions

Some findings:

The camera was tested in "lab" conditions and no amount of moving the cable around, in any direction, resulted in a freeze. The camera kept recording without problems. So it's not an issue with the cable and contacts. It's a very snug and secure fit anyway.
After reinstalling it on the bike, I tried what Stumpy suggested and it worked. If I attach the power cable after the bike is started, it records perfectly fine. So it's most probably a power issue. So, I either need a capacitor before the USB adapter, or a a power converter, or something else that does not come to mind at the moment. Any suggestions on that?

Some findings:

The camera was tested in "lab" conditions and no amount of moving the cable around, in any direction, resulted in a freeze. The camera kept recording without problems. So it's not an issue with the cable and contacts. It's a very snug and secure fit anyway.
After reinstalling it on the bike, I tried what Stumpy suggested and it worked. If I attach the power cable after the bike is started, it records perfectly fine. So it's most probably a power issue. So, I either need a capacitor before the USB adapter, or a a power converter, or something else that does not come to mind at the moment. Any suggestions on that?

Hi George. Please let us know how you get on with your capacitor suggestion. I have got exactly the same problem with my setup and have tried various ways of solving the issue, with no luck. How would you connect the capacitor? And if it works what size is it.

Hello,

I have tried connecting a 4700uF capacitor to the circuit (in parallel) but it doesn't do the trick. Since it's always attached it seems that during motor start it discharges very quickly. So, the only solution I can suggest now is to install a 12V relay, that will take a signal from the low beam lights (they trun on AFTER the motor is started), and connect the USB adapter directly to the battery (which I wanted to avoid because there are already a few cables too many going around).

Hello again.

I resorted to the standard 12V relay solution and it works perfectly fine. I get the signal to the relay from the low beam as I suggested. Recording starts after the bike motor has started. No interrupts, no hick ups ...

Hello again.

I resorted to the standard 12V relay solution and it works perfectly fine. I get the signal to the relay from the low beam as I suggested. Recording starts after the bike motor has started. No interrupts, no hick ups ...

thanks for posting back with the results, I'm sure you won't be the last to need this and it will be helpful for others to know it worked out

Thanks for your reply George. I bought one of these on eBay for couple of £. Can get them even cheaper if you're prepared to wait for deliver from China.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/351080040880
Simple to fit in line to the 5v power transformer. I've set it to 12 seconds and it starts without problem when it times out.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I C3 2
parklawn C3 4
K C3 3
Mike1610 C3 46
Back