Steam-Punk rear cam, DOD LS300W

albertson

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SGZC12RC, and Panorama 2
This is not for the majority of users. It is the opposite of stealth, but that was my intent. I have an old car (1948) and instead of hiding the rear cam, I thought I would decorate it to be a gadget from the past. I like the DOD LS300W as it has been very reliable for many years. I took off the front cover to improve the focus and that started the adventure. I found a steam-punk cover for a small smart phone. Just slightly larger than the body of the DOD camera. This cover already had an image of a lense, so I cut that out and pushed the dash cam lense through the small hole.
A.jpg

Last edited:
I used it this way for a few weeks, experimenting with where to place this on the package shelf of the rear window.
B.jpg

Last edited:
For my purpose, the best location seemed to be a couple inches up off of the package shelf and a foot away from the rear window. This made it more of a decoration on the package shelf and less like a modern camera. Placed it just behind the rear seat. Allowed a little more imagination from the view from following car or pedestrian. Still had an acceptable view out the rear window. Bent the sheet metal so the long part slides down between the rear seat and the package shelf. The wide section with circle is the part that supports the smart phone cover and camera. Lense goes through the hole in the bracket.
C.jpg

After a few weeks using this, it seemed the steam punk image on the cover needed some help to look more 3 dimensional, so I added a cartridge, and a couple handles from a hobby store.
D.jpg

I have had several people ask me what is in the back of the car?
It made them smile. Mission accomplished.

Last edited:
Back