What are great options for a medium to high quality rear view mirror camera?

Arie1

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm looking to purchase my first dash cam. I like the idea of a rearview mounted camera so it is very discreet and LEO's and thiefs can't see I have a camera in my vehicle. I'm looking for something that has excellent daytime and nighttime video quality. Specifically to see license plates and facial features, at least unarguably being recognizable. And excellent audio quality. I understand the audio may not be picked up quite as well outside of the vehicle, but from the inside of the vehicle excellent audio quality is a must. I have seen so far in this portion of the forum, HDVR-180-G2 has been a popular recommendation as well as the 150. Are there different models that have 2 cameras? I would like one that also faces rear, but from what I've read on most of the forums is that 2 channel dash cams have a hard time saving video and I should use 2 separate dash cams. I've seen most all rear view style cameras mount on the existing rear view mirror. Is there a model that has its own mount to slide on the metal shim on the windshield? I thought I could also use poly morph moldable plastic to make a mount for the dash cam. As for 24/7 recording, is the 180 up for that task? Can it record if the vehicle is bumped? Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated. I just want the dash cam to be discrete more then anything.

there's not much (any?) in the mid to high end product of this type currently available, there are some prototypes being developed now with some higher end spec but I haven't seen any that have hit the market just yet, next year maybe, not sure

I have used almost dozen different RVmirror DVR systems starting from low to mid- to high-end that are possible on the market. Non of them beat video quality compare to separate dashcams system. Maybe next year there will be something that could satisfy my personal needs, we will see.

Back