Shock/Tilt DIY System to turn on camera while car is parked

The dashcam will record for 1 hour from the moment I remove the key. After the 1 hour, if a shock is felt, it will automatically turn the cameras on and start recording.

I am poking around with the duration of the recordings.
5 minutes per recording is not working well with the card (at random times after the card is full and the cam starts recycling, the whole dashcam freezes and doesn't record anything).
3 minutes does pretty much the same but it has a lower fail rate.
I am experimenting with 1 minute now...

Now, if in that 1 hour of triggered time, another shock is sensed, the timer resets to 1 hour. At the same time, it will trigger the vibration on the dashcams and basically enable the protect mode.
I think that a 3 minute video would work best but I have yet have to find the reason why it just freezes the whole camera ...

I have 32gb transcend cards in all of them (worked flawlessly in my G1WH and went with that brand because I tried several other brands and they all failed before the card got full), however they all fail at random times (I have to hard reset the cam sometimes holding power for as long as 40 seconds. Either blue light turns on and stays frozen, no screen no functions, or the red one. The red one is the nasty one)

After the 1 hour, if a shock is felt, it will automatically turn the cameras on and start recording.
Considering the camera is triggered and it records perfectly 3 min segments, what files do you want to protect (how many) ?

...at random times after the card is full and the cam starts recycling, the whole dashcam freezes and doesn't record anything ...worked flawlessly in my G1WH ...I tried several other brands and they all failed before the card got full
I had a similar problem, but the camera was shutting down once the card was full; changing the card solved the problem in my case.
How is the temperature ?

I have that system on my convertible alarm
...anyone else interested in the perimeter motion sensing idea
What's the maximum distance at its highest sensitivity ? Do you have to calibrate it ?

Last edited:
It will protect the live recording that runs while the shock sensor is triggered.

The camera is shutting down during the 5 minute increments (same as yours).
3 minute freezes the cam.
1 minute is something I changed to, this morning.

The temperatures are normal operating between 6C and 24C.
While driving 16C-18C.

It will protect the live recording that runs while the shock sensor is triggered.
Yes, but, if you record for 1 hour, 3 min segments (for example) you'll have 20 files. By default, pressing the button to protect the clip will save less than 1 minute. Do you want all these clips (20) to be protected, only the first, etc. ?

Only the one where the impact is "felt". I am giving up on the whole protect file setting though.

I ran some tests and i filled my camera in 2 days worth of driving with read only files.
I will only use the internal g-shock as a trigger, set-up on low sensitivity.

I will still finish the other system that powers on the camera and I'll keep it on for 30 minutes in 1-3 minutes increments.

Back