DIY Dash Cam Windscreen Sunshade

mariomart

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
Viofo A119 Mini, Viofo A119 V3, Viofo A119S V2
I recently purchased and installed a Mini 0806 and not long after discovered that another user had discovered that his 0806 had "drooped" from the GPS windscreen mount, presumably from direct exposure to the sun.

So it got me thinking that I didn't want this happening to me during the hot Australian Summer so I decided to make myself a sunshade to protect the camera from direct sun as best as I could, with the aim to keep it as discrete, and cheap, as possible.

I purchased all the parts I needed, all for under $5.00 Australian dollars and proceeded to document my "operation" :) As per usual please take care when using scissors and box cutters, you will need your fingers in one piece and blood tends to leave a sticky mess.

I started with this (I omitted to show the Velcro dots, sorry)

1.jpg

Then using the clear sheet I drew an outline of the shape I needed to cut.

2.jpg

I then cleaned up the lines.

3.jpg

I overlayed the clear outline onto a sheet of paper and cut it out to produce a test fit piece.

4.jpg

I did a test fit with the paper, noting any areas that were not fitting properly or obstructing the cameras field of view.

5.jpg

It needed a little taken off the bottom to completely unobstruct the camera.

6.jpg

I then cut the back hard plastic cover off from the display book. I chose this display book because it had a nice "carbon fibre" type look to it which I thought would give it a more premium look.

7.jpg

I then taped down my test fit sheet over my final piece and proceeded to cut out the final shape.

8.jpg

Looking good.

9.jpg

I then attached two black Velcro type dots to the bottom of the sunshade so it can be affixed onto the windscreen. I didn't need any for the top of the sunshade as it is anchored in place by inserting it in between the windscreen and the roof lining.

10.jpg

All done :)

Due to the 10 image limitation I will show you the end product in the next post below.

I hope you enjoyed my "operation"

Cheers

And here is the end result.

11.jpg

For something "partially-transparent", you could use something as:
Mesh.png

We had a 35º day yesterday, so it was perfect for a test. It shaded the camera well but I discovered there was still a problem with radiant heat being that the black plastic is so close to the camera. So I found some left over polystyrene and fashioned a small piece to attach to the plastic. Another hot day today so great for another test.

DSCN2350[1].jpg

We had a 35º day yesterday,...
In my mind that just a tad above the freezing point of water. :eek:

(I really need to look where the poster lives before making judgements.)

Back