hard wire no power

crooner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi, i'm just new to this forum & i'm hoping to get some help with hard wiring a dash cam
my problem, when i use a piggy back fuse holder & ground to the proper earth point i get no power
when i use the cigarette lighter plug that came with the mini 0801 ,or connect straight to the battery
there is power ,iv'e tried both ways in the fuse box with 2 fuses in but still no power ,
don't understand it , it should be straight forward from what i have seen

hi, i'm just new to this forum & i'm hoping to get some help with hard wiring a dash cam
my problem, when i use a piggy back fuse holder & ground to the proper earth point i get no power
when i use the cigarette lighter plug that came with the mini 0801 ,or connect straight to the battery
there is power ,iv'e tried both ways in the fuse box with 2 fuses in but still no power ,
don't understand it , it should be straight forward from what i have seen
Are you tapping into a fuse that is powered all the time? Is your piggy back fuse the same size / style as the original fuse it replaces? Can you confirm there is power at the buss the fuse goes into? (one side should have power, the other side not)

are you using a 5v to 12v adapter between your power wire and fuse tap(add -a-circuit)?

if not, you're not giving your camera the proper voltage and may potentially fry your camera.

the cig power plug that came with your camera has this built-in. I've posted it before but if you want a free way to do this, just wire up according to this:
plug by nestor panelo, on Flickr

Are you tapping into a fuse that is powered all the time? Is your piggy back fuse the same size / style as the original fuse it replaces? Can you confirm there is power at the buss the fuse goes into? (one side should have power, the other side not)
tapping into rear wiper powered when ignition on ,
top fuse 5amp wiper fuse 15 amp both mini fuses which are the correct fuses
power at buss because wiper still working ,not sure which way round it should be but tried both ways
tested with ignition on

are you using a 5v to 12v adapter between your power wire and fuse tap(add -a-circuit)?

if not, you're not giving your camera the proper voltage and may potentially fry your camera.

the cig power plug that came with your camera has this built-in. I've posted it before but if you want a free way to do this, just wire up according to this:
plug by nestor panelo, on Flickr
yes i'm using a 12v to 5 volt hardwire kit which comes complete
also tried female cigarette lighter socket with 12v to 5v male connection which came with camera

tapping into rear wiper powered when ignition on ...because wiper still working ,not sure which way round it should be but tried both ways ...tested with ignition on
Keep in mind that "ignition on", doesn't not mean automatically "wipers active" if the car goes to hibernation (as mine). Personally I'll stay out from the wipers as they already take some power and they could be dynamically controlled by computer (increasing their speed with the increase of car speed, automatically staring, or starting when car is in reverse).
You should check if you have any voltage at the level of the pigtail using a voltmeter. !!! Never use a control lamp.

thanks mandami , i now have power ,you were right the wiper fuse was dead ,
i piggied onto standard type fuse , ( have no testing equipment ) one way dead other power so looks like i have it right way round
used fuse .cigar lighter / interior lamp/ electric rear view mirrors/radio pre equipment/vanity mirror number plate
some of these don't apply to my car,
big thanks to everyone for your contribution

Back