Blackboxed.ca - No response on defective cam & website is down

Me-262

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have a Mini 803 that has become defective, sent numerous emails to them and no response. Just looked up the website and its gone. Can only assume they are closed. So much for paying more to get the one year warranty in Canada instead of China.

I have a Mini 803 that has become defective, sent numerous emails to them and no response. Just looked up the website and its gone. Can only assume they are closed. So much for paying more to get the one year warranty in Canada instead of China.

Have you tried to e-mail to their paypal related e-mail address ?

No, good point. I just sent it to that email now (blackboxed.info@gmail.com)

One week later and no response. It looks like Kelvin has quit and left all his customers out to dry.

His online store has been offline for a couple of weeks...it looks like he may have went out of business. It happens. He was very good, I hate it for him.

Wow that is a real shame!
The very least he could have done is sent out a email notifying his customers that his is closing up shop..

Personally it upsets me to see people/ retailers come into this industry, offer the world, and not have the balls to backup what they say..
They take sales away from honest companies, and leave the customer out to dry when they are needed most.

Its far to easy for some to sell Alibaba crap, provide useless after sale support, rather spend the resources on advertising, and rake in money.
I don't know what to do about people like this, both as a retailer, and a customer.
I have always strived to differentiate my business from these players. But it doesn't bring in sales. People like flashy sites, and smooth sales pitches.
As a customer how do you know who is authentic or not. Ghost reviews are easily written. People want to believe what they are being told. They don't want to search the internet.

Anyways rant over.

I have one brand new replacement 803 (without mount) if anyone wants a exchange. I am probably not going to do anything with it. Haven't sold the 803 in a year.
Would just need to pay for shipping.
Just send me a PM. If you are a blkboxed customer, and want it.

That's very nice of you Robert!

I have a lots of random cameras around that I can't really do anything with.
Its the very least I can do.. Wish I had more minis to give out.

Actually pretty sure its a Mini 0805. Has firmware fw 20141211
Not sure if the GPS mounts are compatible.
Still up for grabs for any blbox customer.

Actually pretty sure its a Mini 0805. Has firmware fw 20141211
Not sure if the GPS mounts are compatible.
They should be. If I remember right I have gone through an 03/05/06 all using the same mount. I believe 01 Mounts will even work, but the 01s use Mini B and the others use Micro B plugs.

They should be. If I remember right I have gone through an 03/05/06 all using the same mount. I believe 01 Mounts will even work, but the 01s use Mini B and the others use Micro B plugs.
Sounds about right lol.

The recent Chinese sellers populating sites like Amazon.com are a major factor to smaller companies going out of business now.
I am sure you have felt the effects of this also, at the end of the day price for most is the final decision maker. Customer service is important but everyone runs to Amazon and EBay to check prices. It's something we all as retailers must compete with.
You will even be undersold by your supplier, making $5 over cost for them is big bucks and then they sell hundreds. It's just what Walmart has done to small businesses in every part of N. America.
Knock off units are a huge problem on Amazon etc.. Similar units in identical cases sell for $80 vs $250 for original, most people don't even know this happens.

I am sure this business was trying hard but at the end of the day it comes down to running a viable business, if your not making money there is no point... Unless you want to be a Charity .

Wow that is a real shame!
The very least he could have done is sent out a email notifying his customers that his is closing up shop..

Personally it upsets me to see people/ retailers come into this industry, offer the world, and not have the balls to backup what they say..
They take sales away from honest companies, and leave the customer out to dry when they are needed most.

Its far to easy for some to sell Alibaba crap, provide useless after sale support, rather spend the resources on advertising, and rake in money.
I don't know what to do about people like this, both as a retailer, and a customer.
I have always strived to differentiate my business from these players. But it doesn't bring in sales. People like flashy sites, and smooth sales pitches.
As a customer how do you know who is authentic or not. Ghost reviews are easily written. People want to believe what they are being told. They don't want to search the internet.

Anyways rant over.

I have one brand new replacement 803 (without mount) if anyone wants a exchange. I am probably not going to do anything with it. Haven't sold the 803 in a year.
Would just need to pay for shipping.
Just send me a PM. If you are a blkboxed customer, and want it.

The recent Chinese sellers populating sites like Amazon.com are a major factor to smaller companies going out of business now.
I am sure you have felt the effects of this also, at the end of the day price for most is the final decision maker. Customer service is important but everyone runs to Amazon and EBay to check prices. It's something we all as retailers must compete with.
You will even be undersold by your supplier, making $5 over cost for them is big bucks and then they sell hundreds. It's just what Walmart has done to small businesses in every part of N. America.
Knock off units are a huge problem on Amazon etc.. Similar units in identical cases sell for $80 vs $250 for original, most people don't even know this happens.

I am sure this business was trying hard but at the end of the day it comes down to running a viable business, if your not making money there is no point... Unless you want to be a Charity .

I completely agree.

Its very difficult to have both cheep product, and great customer service. This is why we dropped all generic cameras (asides from one CX70 that I can't seem to sell..)
I am fully aware that by dropping camera like the G1W or Mini that I am missing out on a large part of the market. As a startup that I started with zero capital. I had to choose what I was in this business for.
To me there is no point for a startup like me to try and compete with "walmart" model. I was not going to ruin my name by selling a product I could not stand behind, just because I know it will sell.

So with dropping the G1W's of the world, I was able to invest my effort into making customer friendly policies such as complimentary return labels, and free memory cards with every camera. Does this in turn drive lots of sales? quick answer is no.
Like you said "at the end of the day price for most is the final decision maker".
But I do not believe that does not mean there isn't a business to be made focusing on the rest of the market who doesn't want a cheep product. Who wants remarkable customer service. Who wants to feel confident about the product they purchase, and the retailer they purchase from.
This is who I am in business for.

Back