Recommendations

pazzah

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Everyone-

I have never owned a dash cam, and I'm a little lost reading about them on Amazon. I'm looking for something with the following features:

1. Front and rear video feeds
2. Adequate video during both day and night
3. Autostart and stop
4. Some kind of trigger to protect video when there is an impact
5. Parking mode a plus but not required
6. GPS not required (I have a dash mounted Garmin already)
7. Ad advantage if it doesn't use up the cigarette lighter for power but can be wired directly, but maybe there is some kind of double adapter that can get past this?

I would like to spend under $250 . . . Thanks for your recommendations.

p.s. if you think it is better to have two dashcams rather than a dual feed, please suggest which combination of models you recommend.

suggest you do more reading here and less reading on Amazon, some of the stories people write about the stuff they sell is a bit optimistic at times

just in regard to point 6 you know that the GPS is for tracking your journey (data collection) and where you've been, not for finding out where you're going yeah?

Your comment about owning a Garmin already makes me think perhaps you weren't sure about the GPS functionality

pazzah said:
p.s. if you think it is better to have two dashcams rather than a dual feed, please suggest which combination of models you recommend.
Go get 2pcs DOD LS300W.
It's the best video quality dash cam for night recording which i read from this forum.

Hi-

I already did look at the comparison pages, but I am asking for recommendations from the "pros" on this forum - it looks like some combination of two units one for front, one for rear, might be best, as long as I can supply power to them both and to my GPS unit (which I use for navigation). Thanks for suggestions!

You did not specify if you want 1080p front and rear or are satisfied with 720p?
I am one of those in the "2 separate cams" camp.
I think current dual cams are not quite there yet - maybe next year with A7L-A solutions (at least that's the hope)
I have a 1st generation GT300W up front and a Mobius for the rear. Both are 1080p with WDR.
I am satisfied with the image quality of both cameras.
Some issues with the GT300W (audio) but that has been solved in the current generation cams.
Total cost on both was ~175USD. I think 'image quality bang for the buck' it's a good combo. Install is discreet as well. (DIY job)
There are many decent cameras out there in your price range of under 250 for 2 cams: DR32, SJ1000, GT350W, 808#26 to name a few.
Not all will meet your requirements so do your homework. Pretty much any cam can be hardwired so it does not use a cig lighter outlet.
I chose to hardwire the GT300W upfront using an add a circuit, but used the additional 12V outlet under the center armrest for the Mobius in the rear. Both are USB powered cams - another important detail to me. It just makes for a cleaner install I find without the large 12V to 5V adapters you see. Using standard USB wires with a small 12V USB adapter works for me as it also provides short term recoding (think parking lots) using a standard USB battery pack.

Gurkha9 said:
You did not specify if you want 1080p front and rear or are satisfied with 720p?
I am one of those in the "2 separate cams" camp.

Hi Gurkha9 - yes, I would be OK with 720p in the back. So I welcome suggestions from people as to good combinations of front and back units. Ideally I would like to "set and forget" and just know that I'd be able to access video in any situation where I needed it.

Back