Memory card ?

Panic Button

Reaction score
During my search for a dash camera, I read a lot of complaints about several different cameras and one common complaint was cameras would freeze, stop recording after a few minutes, shut down, not work properly during recording, etc. I've read so many reviews that's it's all a blurr now, but I remember one poster talked about using a class 4 card in place of the class 10 card he had bought (even though the camera claimed it would work with class 10). He was having all sorts of problems with the camera working properly with the class 10 card and when he switched to the class 4 card, all his problems were solved. I don't recall what camera the poster was referring too, not the F500L HD, but it made me think that all these other people that were having similar problems with different cameras, might be using the wrong memeory card, regardless of the claim that it would work with a higher speed card.

The F500L HD I just ordered doesn't go into much detail about the memory card other than it will support up to 32 gigs, but I can't find anything about what class card shoud be used in this model. It would make sense to use a higher speed card since this model does 1080 at 30fps.

What are others using in the F500L HD successfully? Does this model seems to work with most cards regardless of class? I need to get a memory card for this camera so I want to make sure I get a memory card that will work properly.

Also, a little off topic, I just ordered a HERO 3 Black Edtion for my other car, so it will be interesting to compare these two cameras video quality. Even though I haven't seen actucal RAW footage from either, (Youtube doesn't count) the HERO 3 will without a doubt run circules around this F500L HD. I will know once I get a chance to plug each into my 52" 1080 HD Samsung via the HDMI cable.

Cheers, PB

It should use a class 10 memory card, those don't support class 10 may have problems.

Panic Button said:
What are others using in the F500L HD successfully?

Kingston 16GB Full Size SDHC Class 10. Kingston Part number SD10G2/16GB

This one ---> http://www.kingston.com/datasheets/sd10g2_en.pdf

Verified capacity and speed with F3 before using.

Kingston also make a different class 10 card. Part numbers begin with SD10V. I haven't tried that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panic Button said:
What are others using in the F500L HD successfully? Does this model seems to work with most cards regardless of class?
I have only had my F500L HD for a few days.

Having said that...

I started off with a 2-gig "SanDisk Ultra II" Class 4 card that I harvested from an old point-and-shoot digital camera and found two anomalies almost immediately:

• Audio cutting in and out: seven seconds of audio, 3 seconds of silence - over-and-over
  • The cam went into some sort of loop: no recording light, just the little swirley clock icon analog. This happened during the last file that fit on the SD card - as if it had trouble deleting the oldest file and starting another. Device was unresponsive to Menu and Power buttons, would not shut down after power removed and I had to do a battery pull. This did, however, happen the first time the card would have been full - probably the third or fourth time.

Just bought a few "Sony SDHC UHS-1 Memory Card SF32UY/TQMN" at the local Micro Center for $19.00 each. These things are described on Amazon.com as "Class 10".

Popped one in for the drive home, and the audio issue seems to have gone away.... so score one for having a fast-enough card.

Haven't had a recurrence of the looping problem (yet....).

Back