Am I the only guy with a Blackvue DR650GW-2CH that works perfectly ?

The form factor and my positioning is for security purposes. whilst it can be seen from outside if you go close up to my car and are actually looking for it, at the moment in its position behind the rearview mirror it is somewhat camouflaged to the passer by.
Moving it further down the windscreen just screams look at my dash cam, please steal it......

No, I meant turning the cam downwards in its holder. Like you, I have my camera very high up (in fact, at the top of) the screen.

- easy connection to wifi, easy to navigate app with the required info (e.g. normal, event, parking stamps) immediately at hand.

The biggest downside is the disappointing quality of the PQ given the price. However, I want a dash cam for the 'protection' it provides, not to make you tube clips and travelogs, and on this score the BV is capable of capturing information such as licence plates reasonably well and under most conditions.

/QUOTE]
The wifi connection is not very stable when starting up. I got "cannot join <wifi-name>" most of the time and had to wait about 1-2 minutes after starting the Wifi. Tested with 1 iPad Mini 4, 2 iPad Air, 1 iPhone 6S Plus and 3 iPhone 6. Once it connect, there's a 1 out of 3 chance the connection dropped out.

As for the picture quality, I am hoping it'll be better for the price. I seriously cannot see license plate unless the car in front of me is close and stopped. Even more so when the car is in motion, all the license plate are just a blurry. If I zoom the still picture, I maaaaybe can make something out.

No, I meant turning the cam downwards in its holder. Like you, I have my camera very high up (in fact, at the top of) the screen.
as i have mentioned before, i seem to get a drop in quality when i drop the angle too much. My dashboard has a very fine raised detail and i personally (I'm no expert on this stuff) think that bitrate is wasted on trying to render it.
I have put videos up reflecting this. 60/40 shows too much dash and 75/25 just starts at the bottom of the windscreen.

Again can someone in the know tell me if this could be the problem?

I will upload a pic (don't mind the dust, car needs a clean)

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    534.3 KB · Views: 13
@Chuck13. That explains it: works perfectly, without hesitation on my iPhone 5s :)

I have been messing around with the angle of the cam. I'm happy at the moment wit the quality of the day footage (being able to pick up VRMs of passing vehicles at certain speeds) its just that i'm now showing way too much of my dashboard which looks like a waste of viewing space.
will upload the RAW files to my dropbox

No issues with my cam so far. Haven't been using parking mode however.

Personally, my dashboard has a very fine raised texture across it and (maybe I'm wrong and please correct me if i am) i think that a lot of bitrate is being wasted trying to define that in more definition thus causing the rest of the footage to be not as good as it could be.

I found the same with my dashboard; the grainy texture is very detailed in the clips. I found using the CPL filter reduces the level of detail of the dashboard texture; whether this translates to smaller files or more compression of the data, I don't know (I'm using standard 1.009 firmware).

Back