VLC Filter. How to get much more details from NIGHT video footage.

is that available in Windows and Mac version of Dashcam Viewer do you know?

Maybe @traveler can clarify

I'm going to assume it works for both, but someone with a Mac will need to confirm.

The Mac version of http://dashcamviewer.com is his primary development.
The Windows version usually has a few less features until he catches up with the Windows version.
Windows version is missing Picture in Picture dual channel playback for example.

Mac B&C controls coming soon:

Might it be feasible for you to add the ability to adjust contrast and brightness in the Mac version of Dashcam Viewer as you provide in the Windows version? Contrast and brightness controls are a vital tool for enhancing the ability to see important details like license plates in certain videos.

Good question, dashmellow. It turns out that brightness&contrast are not easily accessible in the version of the video library I use on the Mac build. The library I use on the Windows version is newer. Eventually, I am going to switch to the newer library on the Mac version and this will bring with it B&C controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a Street Guardian (SG9665GC) and have seen several videos of what I believe to be good quality night footage but my night footage looks nothing like it. Aside from the VLC suggestion, are there any other tips to getting better night footage?

I recently picked up a Street Guardian (SG9665GC) and have seen several videos of what I believe to be good quality night footage but my night footage looks nothing like it. Aside from the VLC suggestion, are there any other tips to getting better night footage?

I had a customer that ended up having dirty Windows that caused a halo effect with bright lights. Be sure to use a non-ammonia based cleaner to avoid invisible film that will refract light. After that it depends what type of headlights you have. Upload some raw samples via http://mega.nz and we'll check it out. Be sure to record some still day/night parking lot recordings with cars at various distances so we can judge focal length.

Sounds good! I will make sure everything is nice and clean and report back. I will say my daytime footage is pretty stellar.

Back