Premium class Korean Mirror DVR Dash camera Khazon HD-300

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
Within past year I have tested 7 different Mirror dash cams. 3 of them were clip-on and other 4 are with dedicated wind-shield bracket. 1 clip-on was from Taiwan ( ABEO ) other 5 are Chinese made.
I like dedicated mirror dash cam idea, but I had to give up on auto-dimming feature that my original mirror had. Video quality was not what I would like to get ( some used F20 CPU, some had other chip ), however for the price I was paying for them I could not complain, they did great job.
Long time I was looking for the auto-dim mirror with DVR built in and finally 2 moth ago Korean well known company started advertising premium class auto-dimming dedicated mirror dash camera.
I like stealth camera install right in the centre ( other mirror dvr-s I had they cameras were on the side of the mirror )
Operational buttons are on the mirror, but all info displayed to the car multimedia headunit display.

I have contacted few times they customer service team, but no replay, however one Korean eBay seller promised me if I need it, then he can help me to buy it ( I am still thinking, because it a lot of money to invest not knowing the real video quality result ).

I can pass information I found from the web.

http://www.khazon.co.kr/

Mirror dash cam model: HI-Pass HD-300

It records at 720p / 30fps( ideal would be 1080p ), but if video quality can match Livue one, then I would be OK with that.
1/2.5" CMOS, so the video quality at night must be promising
Max 32Gb SD card
Op temp: 0-75C
GPS
G-sensor

Price is around 350 usd

http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/deta ... ass_kind=T

Attachments

• a1.jpg
    a1.jpg
    234.3 KB · Views: 834
  • a3.jpg
    a3.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 833
  • a4.jpg
    a4.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 833
  • a5.jpg
    a5.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 830
  • a6.jpg
    a6.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 832
  • a13.jpg
    a13.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 828
  • a14.jpg
    a14.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 829
  • a10.jpg
    a10.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 830
  • hd300_spec.jpg
    hd300_spec.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 828
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Premium class Korean Mirror DVR Dash camera Khazon HD-30

You can see real installed mirror in the car by clicking on the web as diagram below:

below just the few samples, but from the web you find few dozens of pictures.

Attachments

• installed samples.jpg
    installed samples.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 835
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 827
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 826
  • s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 829
  • s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 827

a lot better than some of the others I've seen but way overpriced, I take it that must be a full retail price for $350?

jokiin said:
a lot better than some of the others I've seen but way overpriced, I take it that must be a full retail price for $350?

Yes, this is the best I have seen. I started from cheapest 75usd clip-on and finished with dedicated 250usd chinese ones based on F20 ( incl delviery and customs ).
However, my opinion is that 350usd is not a high price if taking into account these facts:

- brand new quality auto dimming mirror cost around 120-150 usd ( at least here in Europe ), but don't forget those are mass-production mirrors
- to develop and manufacture a special series car DVR mirror which are in many times less in demand than standard auto dimming mirrors would put price of that form-factor autodimm mirror itself areound 200usd in total
- rest of 150 usd will got for DVR parts.

Hope you know what I am trying to say. The cost of dash camera ( DVR ) parts / technology itself in that mirror is about 100-150 usd. So fair would be compare to same price range dash-cameras.

After spending thousands € on buying, testing different dash cams in order to find that perfect one, stealthy and with good video quality, - I would be happy to "give away" those 350 usd + shipping so I can "settle down" with that search ( some time I am just tired of spending money and time on all those searches ). The only question now is if it can match Livue video quality ( best budget 720p Korean dash cam tested on this forum ). Of course ideal would be video result of LS300W / GT300W and I am personally would not mind paying extra 50-100 usd for all those specs like LS300W has on top of 350usd original price. At least this would give me a piece of mind. But I am afraid it will be a never ending story, because every now and then something new coming out :)

Also one thing I did not found is if it has motion detection or not ? - this is also essential for me.
We need to wait.

Looks good Niko.
Very stealthy and discreet indeed.

Any demo videos? :D

CoreTech said:
Looks good Niko.

I am still trying to get some more info from that manufacturer, but it looks like they work only on Korean market and I guess not many ( or not at all ) any english speaking customer services in there.
I am keeping eye on some Korean dash cam forums. Hope something will leak there.

niko said:
CoreTech said:
Looks good Niko.

I am still trying to get some more info from that manufacturer, but it looks like they work only on Korean market and I guess not many ( or not at all ) any english speaking customer services in there.
I am keeping eye on some Korean dash cam forums. Hope something will leak there.

Thanks. Keep us posted. :D

Was wondering you've mentioned you've tried quite a few in the past year. Whats your fascination with this particular design?

CoreTech said:
niko said:
CoreTech said:
Looks good Niko.

Thanks. Keep us posted. :D

Was wondering you've mentioned you've tried quite a few in the past year. Whats your fascination with this particular design?

1. Being dedicated ( not ugly clip-on ).
2. Stealth design / solution
3. Camera at the centre
4. Displays image onto car headunit which in most cars is 7 inch ( mine is 8 inch ), this way can view live and recorded videos on a big screen.

The only thing that could be better is having 1080p but specs says it has 1/2.5 cmos, so it should be good at night if it is as reliable as other Korean 720p Livue discussed on this forum.

Looks really good. I didn't realize there were any auto-dimming rear view mirror cams available. Price is a bit steep for 720p but I prefer these replacement mirrors over the clip-on ones.

DashCamMan said:
Looks really good. I didn't realize there were any auto-dimming rear view mirror cams available. Price is a bit steep for 720p but I prefer these replacement mirrors over the clip-on ones.

It's early to say full range of specs. It's just released and tested in Korea. I am still waiting for info regarding CPU and CMOS, also aperture.
I think price is right as per my replay: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:37 am
If Korean market accept this mirror dvr, then it can be promising product, but till now it is early to speculate. Anyway, lets wait and see.

DashCamMan said:

the auto dimming function adds USD $40 to the cost at factory level, I'm guessing this is why you won't often see this function

jokiin said:
DashCamMan said:

the auto dimming function adds USD $40 to the cost at factory level, I'm guessing this is why you won't often see this function

Yes, this is manufacturer add-on price ( for example Globalmedia price on auto-dimming option is +40 usd ) to standard mirror price to get auto-dimming, but here in EU they have some kind of distributor rights agreement ( Gentex and Magna ) to be sold only via authorized dealers, there for auto-dim mirrors are higher in price than outside EU. Also I think for Koreans to start selling they mirror dash cams with auto-dimming, they have to pay license ( I guess ), thats where total auto-dim mirror price goes up.
Anyway, if Khazon HD-300 will deliver very good performance, I think they will find a lot of customers ready to pay this money to have unique solution to dash camera being stealthy.

I looked at doing a mirror about 18 months ago but at the time the solutions available weren't good enough, we recently supplied our mainboard solution to a supplier that makes a very good quality mirror, I'm going to revisit that and have a look at what their finished product is like, has our mainboard in it anyway so would be easy for us to work with if their finished design turned out well it could be worth doing something with, I do like the mounting location

jokiin said:
I looked at doing a mirror about 18 months ago but at the time the solutions available weren't good enough, we recently supplied our mainboard solution to a supplier that makes a very good quality mirror, I'm going to revisit that and have a look at what their finished product is like, has our mainboard in it anyway so would be easy for us to work with if their finished design turned out well it could be worth doing something with, I do like the mounting location

Same story here: nearly 1 year I am looking for auto-dimming mirror with good DVR option, but the best dedicated dvr mirror I have ever tested is based on F20, now they are adding for extra 40usd auto-dimming as well. I guess we are talking about the same manufacturer ;) ?

niko said:
jokiin said:

Same story here: nearly 1 year I am looking for auto-dimming mirror with good DVR option, but the best dedicated dvr mirror I have ever tested is based on F20, now they are adding for extra 40usd auto-dimming as well. I guess we are talking about the same manufacturer ;) ?

I'm not sure, there are quite a few different manufacturers, pricing is fairly similar across the board from the ones I have looked at

Has anyone tried this cam yet? If anyone can confirm if it works with a rear cam also ill buy one to try. I am looking for a rear view mirror dash cam where I can hook up a secondary rear cam that also records

The idea replacing my rear-view mirror with one that has the dashcam integrated is an interesting one. I doubt the camera lens would be out of the dirt-line view where the wind-shield wipers miss though.

Here is two photos of my trouble area. (with and without the standard mirror)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2167&start=10#p22801

There are so many stealhty'ish compact high quality dashcams coming out in 2013 (but hardly anything in the Rearview Mirror cam catagory)

JazJon said:
The idea replacing my rear-view mirror with one that has the dashcam integrated is an interesting one. I doubt the camera lens would be out of the dirt-line view where the wind-shield wipers miss though.

Here is two photos of my trouble area. (with and without the standard mirror)
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2167&start=10#p22801

There are so many stealhty'ish compact high quality dashcams coming out in 2013 (but hardly anything in the Rearview Mirror cam catagory)

There are two optionas I ca see:
1. you change car
2. you DIY customize your mirror bracket lowering it down from dirt area. I think 2 inches lower should be fine.

Back