New DR650GW-2ch user - picture seems below par?

I'm not sticking up for Blackvue, just pointing out what I think were are paying for. I agree that video quality should be the most important thing and clearly it isn't

Well I have got the car back now so I can start messing about with the cam again. I will post an update soon.

One thing - whilst the car was away at the dealer I left the camera on using the Power Magic Pro system. This drained the battery and the dealer had to recharge it to start the car. I have got the PMP set to 11.8v and the timer set to Infinity. If this drains the battery at this level what are my alternatives? The next step up in voltage would be 22.8v - I assume this is too high? That being the case what alternatives do I have? I guess leaving the voltage at 11.8, setting the timer to 6 hours and the parking mode sensitivity to low is the way to go?

I am not aware that there is a 12v setting on the PMP. From the instructions I gather there are 4 settings - 11.6, 11.8, 22.8 and 23.2.

I am not aware that there is a 12v setting on the PMP. From the instructions I gather there are 4 settings - 11.6, 11.8, 22.8 and 23.2.
Hi, My PMP has the following settings - 11.8, 12, 22.8 and 23.2.

Hi, My PMP has the following settings - 11.8, 12, 22.8 and 23.2.
Just checked my little leaflet - make sure the first two switches are set to the top. With modern cars, I doubt if your car would start below 12v.

Just checked my little leaflet - make sure the first two switches are set to the top. With modern cars, I doubt if your car would start below 12v.

Yes, I have the two first switches set to the top but my leaflet states this is 11.8v. There is no 12v option. And, on this setting, the dealer had to re-charge my battery as the car would not start! So basically, the PMP is pretty useless to me as there is no voltage setting which suits. As I say, I guess the only way around this will be to turn the motion sensitivity to Off and the Parking G sensor on High and then set the PMP to cut off after 6 hours. If my battery discharges whilst I am out and about it would be a nightmare as it is not easily accessible.

My PMP 'manual' can be seen here: http://www.dashwitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Power-Magic-Pro-Manual.pdf?033c1b

Last edited:
Yes, I have the two first switches set to the top but my leaflet states this is 11.8v. There is no 12v option. And, on this setting, the dealer had to re-charge my battery as the car would not start! So basically, the PMP is pretty useless to me as there is no voltage setting which suits. As I say, I guess the only way around this will be to turn the motion sensitivity to Off and the Parking G sensor on High and then set the PMP to cut off after 6 hours. If my battery discharges whilst I am out and about it would be a nightmare as it is not easily accessible.

My PMP 'manual' can be seen here: http://www.dashwitness.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Power-Magic-Pro-Manual.pdf?033c1b
My PMP says 12V (=/- 0.1V). Send it back to the dealer.

Yes, I may do that. I think I will look into a better solution - something like the Cellink B which does not rely on the car battery.

It has been a while since i messed about with the camera. In the meantime I did purchase a filter off of Ebay to help cut down on the reflections. I think it has helped a bit but I still can't say I am blown away with the quality. I took the below video this morning and it seems pretty ropey. I cannot even see the numberplate of the car in front, let alone read it! There is no definition whatsoever to the trees on the side of the road - they are just a blurred blob. Were it not for the hassle of removing the camera I think I would send it back.

I may downgrade to firmware to one that produces better video as I do not use the cloud function. Which one would other users recommend?

It has been a while since i messed about with the camera. In the meantime I did purchase a filter off of Ebay to help cut down on the reflections. I think it has helped a bit but I still can't say I am blown away with the quality. I took the below video this morning and it seems pretty ropey. I cannot even see the numberplate of the car in front, let alone read it! There is no definition whatsoever to the trees on the side of the road - they are just a blurred blob. Were it not for the hassle of removing the camera I think I would send it back.

I may downgrade to firmware to one that produces better video as I do not use the cloud function. Which one would other users recommend?

Please downgrade your firmware to 1.009 and then select 'Highest' in the player options menu. This will increase the bitrate to over 8.

Here is a guide to help with the process: http://www.autoblackbox.com.au/assets/public_files/downloads/formatguide.html

Back