Best Dashcam $100-$150 range?

runtohell121 said:
niko said:
runtohell121 said:
Right now I'm technically thinking how am I getting power to the dash cam. I really don't like wires hanging around.. but I don't want to route the wire through the A pillar and fuse box etc. Too much work and not sure of my skills, especially on a new car, I don't want to mess up anything.

If you dont want to route cables, - other solution is take power from reading light, but this is in many cases even more complicated, especially if not familiar with car plastics dis-assembly and other electrical wires / cables / soldering.
Easiest way is to run dash camera power cable through A pillar to the fuse box, actually it is not as hard as you think. THen, if you do not want to cut original dash camera cigarette charger plug, just buy external cigarette charger female socket plug and connect to the fuse in the fuse box ACC fuse:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 87804.html

Buy simple 2-3 usd 12v tester,
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-Shi ... 55264.html

find which fuse is ACC, or most cars have free fuse sockets ( without fuse ) which have ACC ignition power running into it, use that socket with ready made fuse tap-in bigger or smaller size depending on where you connecting it to:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Add-A-Ci ... 99897.html
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15A-Mini ... 34670.html

Thats not a rocket science.

Or pay some small money for any car electrician can do it for max 10-15min full installation.

Might consider paying.. but there is DIY instructions already posted on another forum specific for the car I have on how to hardwire something into the fuse box. I might consider doing it myself, just that if in the future, I upgrade to a newer/better dash cam, I would want the existing wiring be functional to the new one. So if I do it, I would probably want a high quality cable and hoping most if not all the dash cam uses the same adapter (Mini USB(?))..

Yes, there are many discussions on how to hardwire, I think the best one was from MTZ, you may go through other threads and find it.
Most popular China dash cams uses 5V universal mini usb, but even if having mini usb not always all pins inside it are matching other dash cameras usb cable pins and in some cases you will not get automatic turn on recording function, or no charging at all, or something else. But it is only 10min job to change old dash cam wires to new one if you will buy a new one in future.

Last edited by a moderator:
jokiin said:
niko said:
Yes, there are many discussions on how to hardwire,

this is an overkill install but plenty of info as a guide http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16300

Very good step by step guide on how to hard-wire dash cam to fuse box. Just need to forget powemagicpro that guy is using ( if its not installed ), rest steps are the same for most dash cams, just instead of continuous 12v live battery feed need to connect dash camera positive to fuse box ignition ( ACC ).

Received it today. Will go out and test it later.

Pictures
Box
ux8k.jpg

Inside the box
fgz.jpg

The camera and firmware
70b8.jpg

ywru.jpg

Which exact dash cam model name did you buy? We discussed here many options. On the box its written ls300w, but its not typical dod branded box. Also looking at front of dash cam its not gt300w nor ls300w. I assume you got vf300w, right?

It is a VF300W, his previous posts indicated as much.
Unreal that they actually use "LS300W" on the box itself :lol:
Since it's the first one reported on this board, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up in terms of reliability.

niko said:
Which exact dash cam model name did you buy? We discussed here many options. On the box its written ls300w, but its not typical dod branded box. Also looking at front of dash cam its not gt300w nor ls300w. I assume you got vf300w, right?

VF300W. I should probably make a new thread instead of continuing this thread..

Gurkha9 said:
Since it's the first one reported on this board, it will be interesting to see how well it holds up in terms of reliability.

Just viewing the playback on my computer, it looks a bit grainy in my opinion. Uploading it to Youtube at this moment, and might upload to dropbox later.

runtohell121 said:
Gurkha9 said:

Just viewing the playback on my computer, it looks a bit grainy in my opinion. Uploading it to Youtube at this moment, and might upload to dropbox later.

Best if you upload few raw video files: day, night and share with us, so we can see and give verdict.

niko said:
runtohell121 said:
Gurkha9 said:

Best if you upload few raw video files: day, night and share with us, so we can see and give verdict.

Here's the new thread. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2176

It includes the YT video and a dropbox link of the RAW footage. I will try to record more later on, haven't been going out much at night time.

Great. Thanks.

Thank you, I will follow this thread, I am looking for the best cheapest dashcam for night time.

I don't care any other function.

Thanks.

Back