germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
As I mentioned in the title I'm looking a dark or better a complete black foil where I can capture through. It's because I want to hide the lens behind this foil.
Is there any possible way to do this without having a darker image on the camera?

What's your application? Car windshield, home, picture frame?
A film that blocks or reflect some of the light will result in a darker image.
A film with a pattern, sort of camouflage, could allow the lens to be behind a clear spot and be less noticeable.
Imagine a picture frame with a picture of a bunch of antique cameras. The real camera put behind a lens cutout in the picture.

Depending on how close the lens is to the windscreen I've found that you only need a pretty small hole to see through so you could put a dark strip across with a small hole. Could be confused for an oem sensor or something?

Complete black is possible only if you remove ir-blocker from your camera lense so that it can see infrared, then cheapest black ir-pass filter is a developed camera negative film, usually you can find some from your old photos if you are old enough;)
Film is totally black, but of course you lose colors.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 21
Material from black tights or similar?
Works for this guy, I can't see his eyes:

173933566-armed-bank-robbers-gettyimages.jpg

With any material that reduces light throughput, the advantage is that an outside viewer has to see light that has gone through twice. If the material cuts out 50% of light, then an object seen through it is only 25% as bright as if viewed directly. That would be quite hard to see, yet the camera could cope reasonably well.

Material cutting out 75% of light would lead to the object being only 6.25% as visible as normal. This is the principle behind using net curtains on windows for privacy. You don't need to make the inner stuff invisible. Just much darker than what the viewer CAN see, so light off the hidden objects becomes background noise rather than perceivable image.

You could alternatively use privacy (semi-mirrored) film, turning glass into a 1-way mirror. Same principle as netting with the bonus of reflection to obscure what you want to hide. The downside is the mirrored area itself would be noticeable and might attract attention.

s-l225.jpg

Oh that's a pretty important thing I've forgot to say in my first post. The camera is for indoor recording only I don't want do use it as a dashcam.

It should completely cover the lens. So maybe I'm more looking like a material which is transparent from one side and dark from the other side :D

Back