I need help buying my first dashboard cam

ericashes

Reaction score
I got a gift car for 80 dollars for amazon.com that I am going to use on a dashboard cam. So it has to be from amazon.com

I am assuming for 80 my best bet is a DVR-207.

However, while browsing amazon I noticed there is a lot of fake cameras and I don't want to really pay full price for a fake. Could someone who knows a little bit more about this link me to a DVR-207 or other good cam that they know is real? Thanks.

Most info regarding dvr-207 you will find in the specific sub-forum:
viewforum.php?f=18

Last edited by a moderator:
ericashes said:
I got a gift car for 80 dollars for amazon.com that I am going to use on a dashboard cam. So it has to be from amazon.com

However, while browsing amazon I noticed there is a lot of fake cameras and I don't want to really pay full price for a fake. Could someone who knows a little bit more about this link me to a DVR-207 or other good cam that they know is real? Thanks.

It's a night and day difference if you spend $20 more. I bought the DVR-207 and hated it, the picture quality is just mush. If all you care about is capturing and accident and nothing more, maybe, but for trying to read license plates, or capturing something you want to post on youtube, forget it. I had a look on Amazon and all the good $100 camera's are on AliExpress or eBay (didn't see them on Amazon) I buy most everything on Amazon myself too.

The 88 dollar version of the Mini 0801 Ambarella Black Box Car DVR With A2S60 + OV2710 + Full HD 30FPS
the $108 one has GPS
is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. If you can find it on Amazon great, if not bummer.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html
(make sure you ask for the latest firmware that records in .MOV not .TS

JazJon said:
ericashes said:

It's a night and day difference if you spend $20 more. I bought the DVR-207 and hated it, the picture quality is just mush. If all you care about is capturing and accident and nothing more, maybe, but for trying to read license plates, or capturing something you want to post on youtube, forget it. I had a look on Amazon and all the good $100 camera's are on AliExpress or eBay (didn't see them on Amazon) I buy most everything on Amazon myself too.

The 88 dollar version of the Mini 0801 Ambarella Black Box Car DVR With A2S60 + OV2710 + Full HD 30FPS
the $108 one has GPS
is the best bang for the buck in my opinion. If you can find it on Amazon great, if not bummer.
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product ... 74589.html
(make sure you ask for the latest firmware that records in .MOV not .TS

For 20usd you got fake. Original dvr-207 cost 3x more and actually pretty good for that price.
The only model which beats dvr-207 in same price range is g1w.

niko said:
For 20usd you got fake. Original dvr-207 cost 3x more and actually pretty good for that price.
The only model which beats dvr-207 in same price range is g1w.

Yes $20 is total garbage for any camera.

I meant for 20 USD more than 80, as in $80 + additional $20 to break the $100 level.

I paid $67 for the DVR207GS I actually re-sold and broke even on ebay

I also support idea of stretching a budget to 100usd and buy good dash cam from TioTech series.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they sell 027s an amazon. You might want to buy that instead, as it has better quality.

Xybone said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they sell 027s an amazon. You might want to buy that instead, as it has better quality.
Back when i was looking for one months ago all i could find on Amazon in terms of what looks like a DVR-027 were knock offs.

If your Amazon price issue is because you do not have a credit card you can take change and find a CoinStar machine in your area by zip code.
All take metal coins some take paper money. The ones located inside Walmart wil NOT give Amazon gift card codes, but ones in local super markets should.
You find a local one dump X amount of money in (Min amount is 5 dollars) select Amazon and the machine prints you out a gift card code for the exact amount you put in witch you can add to your Amazon Gift balance like you added your previous gift code.
CoinStar also lets you do this with eBay through adding funds to a PayPal wallet via printed code, but the CoinStar machine takes roughly 10 cents of every dollar as a transaction fee when you convert your change to regular cash or PayPal funds. Getting an Amazon gift code or as the machine calls it an Amazon E-certificate does not carry any transaction fee and you will get the exact amount you put in.

As an owner of a DVR-027 GS8000 and Vico TF2 You do get what you pay for when you buy a legit camera and i would suggest at the very least getting a camera that is built decently at a little over 100 dollars.

I've never bought a camera off Amazon so hopefully other users can keep shedding more light in that respect, but after going from the DVR-027 to the TF2 i don't think i could go back in terms of quality. I know the TF2 is a little out of your current price range, but my point is to do all the research you can to make sure you get something that is not a knock off, and buy the best you can afford.

Back before i found this site I ended up buying a knock off DVR-027 on Amazon before i knew better. I would never recommend anyone buy one of these knock offs to seriously depend on during driving. I've read Amazon reviews where people say it is good enough. It's not. It looked horrible in the dark and bad during the day and with all the crazy people who drive on the road my safety is priceless.

niko said:
FOr 90usd can get gt350w:
http://www.amazon.com/E-PRANCE-Dashcame ... ds=wdr+dvr
which is also a good dash cam:
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1489
( check video tests gt350w vs ls300w there )

My choice would be put +25usd and get GT550W:
http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Recorder-V ... ds=wdr+dvr
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=1913

+1 You'll be happy with the 1080P WDR cameras from the samples I saw and user experiences I read about.
Pay the extra for the GT550W. Don't settle for less or you'll be disappointed.

Don't be fooled by the cheaper WDR cameras you find either, they are not nearly as good as the ones pointed out above.

Back