Looking for affordable full HD front & back dashcam

There are several on Ebay and Amazon, mine was using Ebays 20% off a couple of weeks ago, then waiting for shipping from China. It gets a lot hotter in a parked car in the sun than most people realize, then add a black box in the windshield, it can easily get there, like I said, I almost got burns on my fingers.View attachment 22472

You know what doesn't make sense about your photo there? The opposite side from the windshield is melted, not the side that would be facing the sun ( side that has the lens ). It almost looks like it was on a hot plate or something. ( frying pan? ) Do we have any forensics people in here?

One thing that we don't know about the 'melting' CF-100 cameras is the environment they were in when it happened. Hot, direct sun exposure, closed car, parking mode active, etc. Under the right conditions the dash of a car can get near hot enough to cook eggs on, if you have a camera in operational mode running and generating it's own heat in addition to the ambient levels who knows what may happen.

FWIW I've had a CF-100 in my wife's car for about a month now and the only issue I've noted is the rear camera sometimes records with a distinct blue cast. Ten minutes later color is back to normal.

This Video cant say anything. Panorama have angle of view: 154. Mobius B have angle of view: 116. Panorama was affected by fisheye effect.
A dashcam have large angle of view, means image details in distant will be sacrificed.
The video says plenty. I think you're confusing quoted Horizontal Angle of View (Mobius) with Diagonal Field of View (Panorama).

Their respective Fields of View are similar (Panorama a bit wider). That the video was shot at the same time in the same vehicle, is the only worthwhile way of comparing the video quality of 2 or more cameras.

Last edited:
One thing that we don't know about the 'melting' CF-100 cameras is the environment they were in when it happened. Hot, direct sun exposure, closed car, parking mode active, etc. Under the right conditions the dash of a car can get near hot enough to cook eggs on, if you have a camera in operational mode running and generating it's own heat in addition to the ambient levels who knows what may happen.

Having worked in electronics for 27 years, I can tell you that the electronics would be the first to go. And the CF-100 doesn't mount in direct contact with the dash, but above on the mirror.

I'm looking at the LK 7950 rear car cam videos and they appear mirrored, like the camera is looking through a mirror instead of directly out the back. The plates are flipped - mirrored. Why is that?

The thing is, I don't have time to wait. I need what they call the "most bang for the buck", now.

The SG9665GC needs auto-exposure control and the CF-100, which was so tempting because of price, sometimes melts from heat. <SIGH>

Hmmm, I just had an idea for the CF-100. The case is plain old plastic, right? What about getting some plain old hobby model enamel ( Testors? ) from a hobby shop and painting the case white? Black absorbs heat from the sun, white reflects heat.

No, wait... then the white might reflect in the dash, while driving, and get into the video. Hmm... maybe a black outer sheet of plastic or something - like a shield. Have to think some more about this... group?
Black also absorbs heat from the internals, drawing it away from whatever is generating the heat. white internals... well, you might as well wrap the thing in tinfoil and stick it in the oven!
Add loads of vent holes as well, this'll also help keep the internals cool.
If you're going to be messing about with the case, might as well make the whole upper surface out of metal & stick on some fins to give a larger surface area for cooling (turning it into a heatsink).
Actually, this is another good reason to resurrect our most desirable camera - two remote lenses connected to a central box which can be hidden away. (like the K1 or K1S) If the box is placed high in the passenger footwell, it should be possible to divert some of the fresh air from outside onto the unit. If you were really concerned, you could also add a hose from the car's aircon unit & also add a cooling fan to draw air from under the car.

Black also absorbs heat from the internals, drawing it away from whatever is generating the heat. white internals... well, you might as well wrap the thing in tinfoil and stick it in the oven!
Add loads of vent holes as well, this'll also help keep the internals cool.
If you're going to be messing about with the case, might as well make the whole upper surface out of metal & stick on some fins to give a larger surface area for cooling (turning it into a heatsink).
Actually, this is another good reason to resurrect our most desirable camera - two remote lenses connected to a central box which can be hidden away. (like the K1 or K1S) If the box is placed high in the passenger footwell, it should be possible to divert some of the fresh air from outside onto the unit. If you were really concerned, you could also add a hose from the car's aircon unit & also add a cooling fan to draw air from under the car.

No, I was talking about making the case white on the outside to reflect heat.

No, I was talking about making the case white on the outside to reflect heat.
But if the case is black with a white coating, any heat absorbed from the cam will be reflected back into the camera

But if the case is black with a white coating, any heat absorbed from the cam will be reflected back into the camera

Then have ventilation holes.

But like I said as an after thought above, a white outer case would reflect in the windshield. Never mind. Just have vent holes.

Then have ventilation holes.

But like I said as an after thought above, a white outer case would reflect in the windshield. Never mind. Just have vent holes.
It'd also make the cam stand out like a sore thumb - very tempting for the opportunist thief.

It'd also make the cam stand out like a sore thumb - very tempting for the opportunist thief.

Some of them already do that, with the flashy giant silver lenses and bling.

something we're working on right now

I need to make a decision soon. Driving around here is dangerous now and lots of people need to be reported to the State Patrol, but we need EVIDENCE.

Is it looking like, if we buy a
Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 right now, if you solve the problem, it might just be a firmware download or something, that we could do?

Is it looking like, if we buy a
Street Guardian SG9665GC v2 right now, if you solve the problem, it might just be a firmware download or something, that we could do?

yes it's only a firmware thing, easily done by the end user, takes less than a minute to load the firmware

Biggest issue with doing FW update is entering plate number if you use that, i have the modelnumber on my camera but entering SG9665GC is no problem.

Biggest issue with doing FW update is entering plate number if you use that, i have the modelnumber on my camera but entering SG9665GC is no problem.

it shouldn't overwrite that when you update, I need to check that if it is, I'm sure we moved that into the protected memory error previously

To be honest i cant remember if i had to do that last time i updated, i would try again just for the hell of it, but the camera is in the car and i am pretty lazy today and hunched over my soldering iron working on my DIY night vision goggles.

yes it's only a firmware thing, easily done by the end user, takes less than a minute to load the firmware

So will it be ready soon, where you can upload some day and night videos showing that the bright lights at night, and bright areas in the day, don't saturate the video?

Back