Gopro Hero 5 - when ?

Interesting that H265 can only manage half the frame rate of H264, does that mean that H265 uses twice the power and is thus unsuitable for small dashcams because it will overheat?

-Pizdys-, WOW, now that is a KILLER chip, omg. Amazing that they can get all that into a chip, and the 14nm, sweat !

That will make is possible to record 4k without the issue of heat. But I wonder, at what price ?
To me the cheaper version of Hero 5 (if there is one) would probably have the H12 chip, if they stick with ambarella.

Nigel, not that I know of, h265 can use high bitrates, and dashcams have no power issues, as the car provides it. The chip should not overheat, it is like a cpu in a computer, h265 might product more heat in general, so that the chip will run a bit warmer as it is more complex and requires more computing power. But a chip has a TDP, and no matter what you do, the chip will not generate more heat than the specifications or limit, this is usually at 100 percent load.

What can happen is like in some DSLR, that the chip has a TDP, but because of mounting, cramped spaces and so on, the heat is not removed in a efficient way, so it builds up and makes the chip run to hot, and then shuts down. Almost all these types of chips have built in safe guards so they do not self destruct.

Last edited:
Ok, well I do not want to keep up with the Jones, I do not care about new cars, boats etc. In other words I am not jealous of
rich people nor do I care what they do, just as I do not bother with celebrity's and all that.

Looks like you are the same person like me that do not watch a lot of TV programs as they are just plain old stupid.

I want to stop the Jones from keeping up ther exessive lifestyle that i am funding ( over here but i think the same is the case in the US )

There is very fjew rich ppl in the world i respect on a human level, but some i do, even though i might not undestand / agree with the way they made ther money.

Yeah, I did watch a lot of TV but I have decided to cut back on that a lot, get my life in another direct, get out and about, film stuff with a
action cam, do something that can benefit me, instead of rotting away in front of a stupid TV.

Anyway, I am wondering if we will see a new hero 5 from gopro any time soon ? or will it be by the end of 2016 ?

Back