Stealth mod CF-100 with photos :)

Kip

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
JooVuu X, Shadow GT550WS, Blacksys CF-100 (dead & gone)
Just thought I'd share what I've been up to recently. I have taken my CF-100 apart and sprayed the shell in black PlastiDip. To be honest, a proper paint would have been better, as PlastiDip hangs on to dust pretty badly and for me at least, it's hard to get a nice smooth even finish on really flat and smooth surfaces. The finish is very matt though and despite the paint job itself being cringe worthy, it will be fine for me. :)
IMG_20160430_132208.png IMG_20160502_101302.png IMG_20160502_104506.png IMG_20160502_104016.png
The hardest part was removing the outer shell as it's so fiddly and tightly locked together. All the screws are exactly the same throughout, which makes it nice to work with once the shell is off.

I also put some cardboard (yes, cardboard) behind the mount as I was already on the extreme angle setting to get a reasonable view, this should make things better by pointing the camera down slightly. I intend to buy some more adhesive so I can move the mount. This will get me both a better angle and better access to the buttons.

Update: DO NOT TRY THIS it will increase the amount of vibrations going into the camera. For example, in 165 miles of very eco driving it clocked 150 events, most of which were due to vibrations and this is with the g-sensor on its lowest setting. Fortunately, taking the shell apart the second time was a lot easier since I had some idea of how to do it.

IMG_20160430_134357.png IMG_20160430_134343.png IMG_20160430_134450.png IMG_20160430_134902.png IMG_20160430_134956.png

However, if you could cut a piece of rubber or something into a perfectly fitted wedge for this space, maybe it could work without increasing vibrations.

Last edited:
I also did some of my cars trim panels. One part in particular, a square silver coloured ring, seemed to be nearly always visible in my footage. The A pillars also show up less and other trim bits were just to match up. Hopefully the photos will explain better. Stock, it looked something like this:
Peugeot-207_RC-2007-1600-0c.jpg
The most annoying piece:
IMG_20160502_104117.png
Passenger air vent (did both but only showing one):
IMG_20160502_104122.png
A-pillars:
IMG_20160502_104231.png IMG_20160502_104255.png
Centre console trim:
IMG_20160502_104328.png

I also did some of my cars trim panels. One part in particular, a square silver coloured ring, seemed to be nearly always visible in my footage. The A pillars also show up less and other trim bits were just to match up. Hopefully the photos will explain better. Stock, it looked something like this:
View attachment 22846
The most annoying piece:
View attachment 22847
Passenger air vent (did both but only showing one):
View attachment 22848
A-pillars:
View attachment 22849 View attachment 22850
Centre console trim:
View attachment 22851
nice. but wasn't it a bit of a pain to move the steering wheel to the other side of the car? ;) :D

i may try doing plastidip (or even just flat black paint, which i already have) on the radio and climate control trim on my truck - during the day there's a huge silver bar almost in the center of the video from the top of the silver radio trim - similar to what i expect yours was doing.

nice. but wasn't it a bit of a pain to move the steering wheel to the other side of the car?

Not as bad as removing the camera's shell!

I took some snap shots to show this ring, even in black it still shows when the glare is strong enough but it's basically gone in low glare situations. In silver, it would be visible to the camera and me the driver, almost all the time. Annoyingly, Peugeot did make some black trim parts (all the bits I painted, minus the A-pillars), but most models have the silver bits fitted! :confused:

High glare:
vlcsnap-2016-05-02-19h00m18s653.png <-silver - black -> vlcsnap-2016-05-02-18h20m42s667.png

Low glare, silver only:
vlcsnap-2016-05-02-18h16m52s509.png vlcsnap-2016-05-02-18h14m49s741.png

yeah, the 2005+ toyota tacoma is similar - most have silver dash trim but a few have black. after i get done with some maintenance (apparently, having good brakes is important), black dash trim will probably be my next project. only part i'm worried about is the emergency flashers button since i already have an aftermarket stereo.

129_0603_02_z%2B2005_toyota_tacoma_trd%2Bsterring_interior.jpg

P1220934.jpg

i didn't find it that difficult to take apart the cf-100, but then i made my living as a laptop repairman for a few years as well...

Last edited:
Reactions: Kip
i didn't find it that difficult to take apart the cf-100, but then i made my living as a laptop repairman for a few years as well...

You probably had all the right tools for the job. I had to make do with a single precision screwdriver and a couple of old credit cards (well not exactly credit cards but same sort of thing). I've had two laptops apart to apply new and much better thermal paste, never ran into trouble with them other than some screw sockets breaking off (my laptop is about 9 screws short!).

But yeah, definitely give PlastiDip a go, you can always remove it later, just beware it's a dust magnet and needs skill/patience to put on properly. It also stinks, so don't spray it somewhere like your kitchen. A shed, garage or other outbuilding would be best.

Is it a dust magnet because it's black or does it have a texture that holds on to dust? My laptop has an annoying rubbery coating that holds dust really well, and it's very annoying. If it's texture then I'll just do flat black paint. I don't care if it's permanent... I've painted plenty of stuff before to know how to properly prep the surface.

It's basically spray on rubber wrap, so the texture is the same as normal rubber I guess (soft, rough, grips well, also sticks to just about any unprepped surface). Since it's matt black rather than gloss, dust doesn't show very well but it will if enough settles on it, and because of the texture, it's more difficult to get rid of it. PlastiDip is great for temporary coverings, protection, etc, but a proper paint would be better for some things. I'd never spray painted anything before so a removable paint appealed to me. Next time though I would consider other options as well.

It's basically spray on rubber wrap, so the texture is the same as normal rubber I guess (soft, rough, grips well, also sticks to just about any unprepped surface). Since it's matt black rather than gloss, dust doesn't show very well but it will if enough settles on it, and because of the texture, it's more difficult to get rid of it. PlastiDip is great for temporary coverings, protection, etc, but a proper paint would be better for some things. I'd never spray painted anything before so a removable paint appealed to me. Next time though I would consider other options as well.
i've never used the spray, only the actual DIP - a can into which you literally dip tool handles (ie: pliers) into the can to apply a fresh rubber grip:

pACE3-5947464enh-z8.jpg

Back