K1S Micro SD card. Who uses what and what works?

pisteartist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dash Cam
Koonlung K1S
Hi,

Not long had my K1S fitted and put a Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro SDXC card in. This is a USH-1 class 10. I thought this would be sufficient with a 10MB/s write speed at least. The two cameras have a joined Full HD bit rate of 23bps which is about 2.75MB/s.

Would seem that not all cards are equal and that some have better random write/read speed as well as any headline sequential write speed. I'm not sure what is the most important type of write speed for this type of device.

My K1S has started to go funny. It has recently been going "bong" then it stops recording for about 10-20seconds then says "recording started" and starts recording again. The device is still on as I can see the screensaver and it just drops the rec icon. The red light on the wireless control also goes on or off with the recording. The device isn't rebooting just has a break from recording for 10-20 seconds. Initially it was fine but now it is doing it up to every 3 minutes. When reviewing the footage there is a clear break. Unacceptable!!

I'm thinking the device is ok but maybe the use of parking mode is causing the device to shut down badly and corrupt the card or files?

Realistically from what I've read though it would seem it is the Sandisk Ultra isn't up to the job.

So I'm wanting to know what Micro SD cards people use and how they get on with them?

I found of couple of reviews of SD cards online.

One roundup is in German

http://www.pcwelt.de/produkte/Micro...C-Karten_mit_64_GB_Speicherplatz-8524596.html

http://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/fastest-microsd-cards

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/charts/microsd-cards-2014/benchmarks,169.html

Seems quite a difference with all these types of write speeds!

From these I think the Sandisk Ultra random write speeds are too slow. Esp 512K blocks.

I think that A Sandisk Extreme (new U3) would work well as would Exteme Plus.

The Extreme Pro looks unbeatable for numbers but is still expensive.

The Samsung Evo and Pro cards look like good alrounders with good random write speeds.

The lexar x633 is also a possibility.

I'm tempted to go with the Sandisk Extreme as Tesco have a good deal and Clubcard boost on just now.

I'm wary of Sandisk though from what I've read of them working with the K1S.

I'd be prepared to go with Sandisk Extreme Pro if required to.

Any ideas with fault?

Any ideas with card type working best with the K1S?

Think it is rubbish that there is so much hassle with micro sd card compatability.

Thanks!

I have this exact problem... the K1S stops recording (there is a quiet chime when that happens) and then says "recording started" every few minutes sometimes... with a 10 or so second gap. I've tried sandisk Ultra brands and lexar.. 32 and 64.. all have this same problem. If it is an sd card issue, that would be great.. otherwise, this thing has not been reliable.

If you've tried all those cards, something else is wrong for sure. Did you contact your seller for warranty support?

I switched from a 2015 Sandisk Ultra 64GB Micro sdxc card (red and Grey card) to an older generation Samsung Pro 64GB card.

The Samsung card is black with white writing marked "Samsung 64GB Micro SDXC I" with Class 10 and U1 markings.

This is an older Pro card although not marked "Pro" as the new generation.

This samsung card wipes the floor with the sandisk ultra. All write speeds bench marked with crystal disk mark application show that the samsung destroys the sandisk. Especially important random block write speeds.

These random speeds vary card to card and aren't required to be defined by the class of card. So a class 10 card can meet specs for sequential write speed but have terrible random speeds.

I suggest despite trying different cards these are all probably not fast enough.

If you can get a card I've described then it would probably work.

What is cheaper and easier to get is any U3 class card such as sandisk extreme, extreme plus or extreme pro.

Having read amazon reviews on this 2 people reported similar problems and resolved with a Sandisk extreme pro.

Then bench tests I've seen for the sandisk extreme pro are much better than my Samsung Pro that works fine.

Bottom line the SD card is a massive issue with this dashcam.

It is writing a hell of a lot of data and similar requirements to a 4k go pro card.

My recommendation is buy the fastest micro sd card known. (Sandisk Extreme Pro) if that doesn't work then send it back.

Koonlung shouldn't say any old class 10 works. They should test it and give known cards that work.

Sandisk Ultra = ultra junk.

From what I've read online I think over 50% of K1S faults are related to a slow micro sd card!

Update: after seeing a recommendation in another forum thread here to try the lexar 633x, I went out and bought two of them... put one in the K1S, formatted it.

No issues in driving for 30 min.. no issues like I did before where it would stop recording every couple minutes. I think pisteartist/Pier28, you are right.. it was a case of being very fussy with the type of sd card. I will update again after I run it a few days, but I am thinking the lexar 633x (Lexar 633X Micro SDXC - 64GB - LSDMI64GBB1NL633), is working now.

(btw.. the lexar I've used before was not a 633x.. it was just a Lexar High Speed (10) 32GB)

Last edited:
I tested several dual channel ambarella systems (including koonlung) that share a single memory card for both full HD channel recordings. Faster is needed for sure and Lexar 633x is good.
(I was assuming when Lexar was mentioned being tried above was it was 633x)
Still too many quirks for my taste though even after the fast card.

I've been using a SanDisk Ultra Plus 128gb card since I bought the dashcam. It holds (so far) about 550 five minute videos. I've tested it frequently by pulling the card and putting it in a Galaxy tablet. The video and sound quality are great. No issues at all.

Attachments

• 20160515_090130-1.jpg
    20160515_090130-1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 7
  • 20160515_090130-1.jpg
    20160515_090130-1.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 5
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Koonlung 7