Side by Side - Where's the matrix?

Chillis

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
First of all, let me say that coming across this forum is fantastic. I have learned a lot about dash cams in the last hour, more than I realized that I wanted to know. When I first started looking for a dash cam I thought I would just go to Amazon and find one with the best reviews and deal done. I come to find there are so many and all have poor reviews as well as great reviews. I also note there are many reviews that are slanted and bias because the vendor is supplying them with free product. A majority are stating that fact, so it's not all bad.

Having said that, I have not found a matrix that would detail the products in categories and attributes so that I could canvas them all (or even filter) to ensure what I'm looking for in a dash cam. Maybe I can't get everything I am looking for, but knowing what I want now and finding it are presenting a time drain and seriously getting anxiety attacks. I need to order a camera this week for my road trip.

In conclusion, I may continue to post here in summary fashion after I purchase something and road trip it and this may only be post for which I add any amount of rambling, but would like some guidance.

Needs:
I'm not concerned about price
I want parking mode with motion detection and auto record
I want 2K video (good day and night and transitions (day, night, hot, cold)
- could care less about audio outside (would like to control inside)
I don't want inside or rear video, just what is in front of me
Good suction mount with the lever set and release
WiFi so I don't need to mess with USB
USB 2.x for power so I get good power to the device and tells me it's a quality product
If any have a battery options with no cords, maybe but I think power needs to be reliable
Nice viewer on back to ensure operation
Human Factors in interface a must - Onscreen or on the device for quick access
No GPS needed - No Speed indicator needed
Must have 64GB SD
I want to record the best video possible all the time (cloud connect OK as option)
It MUST withstand extreme heat and cold (almost number 1 feature)
Good support and warranty.

Anything come close at all or do we need to wait for Samsung to get into this space?

Any help appreciated. Don't be rude, I'm a noob.

Welcome Chillis.

What you ask is hard to handle, not least the second last line, most dashcam companies have "okay" service and warrenty at best.

If thats a big thing for you then there only is Street Guardian, they are allmost to the point where the customer is allways right, way ahead of any other dashcam company i can think off.

BUT ! they dont have a product that have 2K resolution, they are sticking with the 1080P sensors that handle low light the best, i belive this is allso the case for ther upcomming range of products later in the year.

The features you want are available in a number of products, not in a single product though

I'm not a Millennial, but this time I want it all and want it now. This is how I feel about dash cams. This almost feels like the start of internet as I recall, trying to find an on-ramp of sorts, not knowing what I am doing but buying and trying. I can imagine this being central to the internet of things and along the same lines as smart cams for the home, zwave stuff. Apparently we are just not there yet, but wow; what a huge market potential for the company that pounces and delivers on all cylinders. Thanks for the pules of the market. I have been doing more research and looks like FineVu and BlackVue looks to be on the leaders in this market.

Only if you ask them, i am sure if you ask ppl that have tried ther products and other high end cameras will contests that statement.

But in all honesty i have not tried those 2 brands myself, but they do have ther own subforums on this forum, so just have a look around in there.

Only if you ask them, i am sure if you ask ppl that have tried ther products and other high end cameras will contests that statement.

But in all honesty i have not tried those 2 brands myself, but they do have ther own subforums on this forum, so just have a look around in there.

Yes, every time I think I have latch on to something, I read something bad (multiple threads) and we hit the reset button. I think at this point I need to vet my real needs and look at something around 200$ USD, that way if it's a pile, I can just swallow and learn. This online matrix is good (just found it) but wish it had filters. I would try street gaurdian but made in China (haha) but really, it has no WIFI or Parking mode so that is kind of a no starter? WIFI is needed for sure, I want this device to be connected.

I would try street gaurdian but made in China (haha) but really, it has no WIFI or Parking mode so that is kind of a no starter? WIFI is needed for sure, I want this device to be connected.

we have other product coming that will be more in line with what you're looking for, we'll always be making it in China though, wouldn't be cost effective to do it anywhere else

Back