DIRTY vs CLEAN Lens. Keep your dashcam lens clean !

niko

Retailer
Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Dash Cam
Street Guardian UK / EU / EEA Distributor
For best video recording result always keep your daschamera lens clean from dust, fingerprints and other dirt, to avoid "blurry"-, "foggy"- or flare video result, which may affect fine details recording / reading.

Easy and practical way to clean your Dashcam lens is to use Lenspen ( CLICK HERE )

Below you may see side by side video comparison from two identical Street Guardian SG9665GC. Top unit lens had very light fingerprint smudge ( by accident ), bottom one had clean lens.
In day time driving / recording conditions you might not see a difference, but as soon as I draw into the multi-store car par, difference was obvious.

P.S. I forgot to set-up correct date, so please ignore date.

Dirty vs Clean Lens (1)a.jpg

Dirty vs Clean Lens (2)a.jpg

Dirty vs Clean Lens (3)a.jpg

Dirty vs Clean Lens (4)a.jpg

Dirty vs Clean Lens (5)a.jpg

Dirty vs Clean Lens (6)a.jpg

Last edited:
The same goes for cleaning the inside & outside windshield. Clean them with a non-ammonia based cleaner to avoid leaving an invisible film that can refract light in a similar way. (avoid cheap windex etc)

Even in daytime conditions dirt and scratches can cause loss of contrast. Not so easy to pick up on, but that's almost worse because you won't realise there's a problem so you won't fix it.
And scratches are pretty much there for good, so clean carefully. No wiping on your jacket sleeve!

The windshield also needs to be clean, I've recently reviewed some footage and it looked like I had moisturizing cream on my windshield, all blurry and stuff.

looked like I had moisturizing cream on my windshield
Ah, the good old Vaseline on the lens trick. Best reserved for hiding women's minor imperfections, or to demonstrate Kirk's raging libido surging into action.

600full-grace-lee-whitney.jpg

Back