Quick battery drain in parking mode

AmyB

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all--I've lurked around on the forum for the last few months trying to learn as much from everyone as I can. I purchased the Street Guardian SGZC12SG and the SGZC12SS cameras a few months ago as well as the MotoPark Multi Safer, fuse taps, etc. for installing in my 2015 Honda CRV EX. I couldn't get the cameras to stay powered for any reliable period of time, no matter which fuses I tried tapping into. I need the cameras to record in parking mode in order to catch my neighbor doing further damage to my car in addition to a recent $2,000 repair bill. She scratched the whole side of my brand new car with her shovel during the major winter snowstorm back in January and continues to ding my paint with her car door. Usually it happens when she comes home at night and leaves for work in the morning.

So I went to a local car stereo shop to get my cameras installed after the DIY attempt didn't produce the results I wanted. They forgot to install the Power Magic Pro and claimed I never asked for it, despite my requesting it multiple times prior to installation, and they didn't say anything to me when I picked it up so I assumed it had been installed. I left my car parked for over two days and came out to a fatally-damaged battery, so I had to buy a replacement. The shop insisted I never asked them to install the PMP, which is ridiculous, and I don't know how they connected the cams to a power source, since they bypassed the fuse box entirely.

So yesterday, I left one camera recording during work (about 8 hours) and was unable to start the car at the end of the day. Fortunately a coworker was able to help jump me. But I really don't understand what is going on. From what I read elsewhere online, some folks are able to record in parking mode for weeks at a time, and I can't even get one to stay powered for a single day?!

My car is basically brand new, with less than 6,000 miles on it, and I'm already on my second battery, which has probably been compromised from recent partial drainages. Could something perhaps be wrong with my car's electrical system? I think the lousy install shop may have at least used a 12V to 5V step down converter but I am unable to confirm with them.

All this to say that I am stunned by how little time it takes for these cameras to drain my battery. Is anyone else's experience similar? Any other thoughts on what might be solutions? I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem. I need to essentially pay someone else all over again (to the tune of $300) to go back into the wiring and connect a new BDP device that has a setting for 12.4V cutoff but I'm still going to be really disappointed if it cuts off after my cameras have only been recording for a few hours (rather than days).

I've thought about contacting my car dealership to see if they have any information that could help, but I'm nervous they might just turn me away when asked for help with a third-party device that they have nothing to do with. Should I go to a mechanic to test the cameras' draw? Is that something a dealer is usually able to do as well?

You absolutely need a battery discharge prevention device I wouldn't trust leaving parking Mode without one. I do have a few customers that have very large trucks that risk it for a day or two but not weeks. it's not recommended at all especially with a smaller standard vehicle and especially if you have more than one camera powered at a time.

Get a Vico-Power plus

I did get the Vico-Power plus, just need to schedule its installation someplace.

Are there any workarounds for powering my cams longer? Do dual channel systems consume less power? I have a power bank but am not sure that's the ideal solution.

So, the Lukas battery pack would be used in lieu of the Vico-Power Plus?

Yup that is correct. Also you can save you self a trip to the install shop, as you can charge up the battery pack with the cig lighter port while you drive.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A SGZC12SG 4
P SGZC12SG 11
Back