Mio Mivue 388 cannot get GPS fix

panicdog

Reaction score
I've been using my Mivue 388 for 3-4 years now and it has been working fine. A couple of days ago I noticed that the GPS receiver is no longer functioning, it could no longer get a GPS fix. Sometimes it would acquire satellites but 90% of the time it won't.

Does anyone got issues also with the 388's GPS, how did you fix it?

Could be weak or dead gps receiver battery ?

Could be weak or dead gps receiver battery ?
I don't think the signals are weak as my smartphone could actually pickup multiple gps signals on the same location.

Is there a gps receiver battery aside from the 3.7v battery inside?

I don't think the signals are weak as my smartphone could actually pickup multiple gps signals on the same location.

Is there a gps receiver battery aside from the 3.7v battery inside?
I meant dashcam gps receiver button-battery.

I meant dashcam gps receiver button-battery.

I've been using this for more than a year with a dead battery and the gps was working fine. I just replaced the battery a few months ago and it was doing ok until a couple of days ago.

I got the gps to work again. I re-soldered the GPS pcb to the main board. I also re-positioned and re-soldered the ceramic patch gps antenna, it seems that it the patch antenna got misaligned to its grounding plate. I suspect the components came loose during the times that I've doing a lot of off-road driving in the hot desert.

I got the gps to work again. I re-soldered [...] the gps antenna, it seems that it the patch antenna got misaligned to its grounding plate. I suspect the components came loose during the times that I've doing a lot of off-road driving in the hot desert.
Just another data point: had the same problem and resoldering the antenna seems to have fixed it as well, although not sure for how long.

Just another data point: had the same problem and resoldering the antenna seems to have fixed it as well, although not sure for how long.

Maybe another 2 years. Just a fortnight ago I tried to replace it's battery for the 2nd time and when I turned it on the GPS cannot get any signal showing 'x'. I tried to re-solder it again but was unsuccessful, to make matters worst the GPS logo isn't visible now on screen, it's totally gone and on top of that the new battery drained in a day and won't charge now. This thing is dickered.

I email Mio to see if they can give me copy of the PCB schematics to help me troubleshoot the circuitry, unfortunately, they replied saying that they won't be able to share the schematics.

Since Mio won't be able to help me, I decided to buy a new one from a different manufacturer. This time I got something without GPS and LCD screen.

Back