Posting a video to this forum... how to?

Ralph2

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Dash Cam
BlackVue DR900x-Plus in 2022 Palisade replaced the 650
I have been looking but can not find a "tutorial" on how to put a video clip on this forum. I am of the understanding that posting to YouTube degrades the video. How do the pro's on here manage to show their best shots??

Just upload to youtube and paste the video URL here.

Video shows how I posted the Video above :

Thanks.. but I was under the impression that You Tube, like Facebook degrade the quality of the video.. which is bad enough as it is.

There might be slight degradation , just make sure your quality is good ( Full HD 1920 x 1080 ) and then youtube will offer several different quality settings on playback ...
A lot depends on the quality you submit ... ( and file format )
If you cut quality to save on file size , and youtube does there bit , it all adds up ..
Just submit the best quality video you can , and see what happens ..
There is little point speculating before doing anything ... ( Just do it and see )

Last edited:
YouTube will take the average 15mbit dashcam video and re-encode it and compress it to anything from 2mbit to 4mbit, if you're not a high traffic page it's generally at the lower end though

YouTube will take the average 15mbit dashcam video and re-encode it and compress it to anything from 2mbit to 4mbit, if you're not a high traffic page it's generally at the lower end though

I found it varies on file format , codec and compression ..
ATM I post video as AVI , MPEG4 and compression @ 10,000 Kbits / second ...
But you have to play around to see how it ends up on youtube ( After they have done their bit )
You could try MP4 - H264 , or maybe FLV ..
I know that FLV seems to give decent results .. But it all depends on the variables , and the software you are using ..

For me , If I do my compression bellow 10,000 Kbits / second , when youtube is done there is some visible loss ...
Above 10,000 ( 11,000 ) and its better ..
Change to a better format , codec and the results can improve ...
ATM I need to find a decent video converter so I can post FLV ...
VLC converts video , and for a long time it didn't work for me ( Video conversion ) , the software just crashed .
But recently I noticed that the video conversion function is working again .. ( So I will have to give VLC a little of my time to see what it can do )

Video quality is important if you want to showcase a cam , or your doing a review ..
Why I always try and compare to another cam ( direct comparison ) .. That way even if there is some youtube loss , the resulting video is still valid ..
But then Youtube is out of our control , so you just need to experiment and find a format that works best ...

Wow , you would ask after I deleted 100's of MB's of video ..
My hard drivers were filling up and I needed to free up space about a week ago ..
So the only compression comparison I can offer is something recent ( before upload and after - would need to download it from youtube )

My last contribution - https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/legendary.15344/

Screen%20Shot%2011-27-15%20at%2012.46%20PM_zpsjnyyfyra.jpg

YouTube_zpsxocireeh.jpg

Youtube video / image grab ....

Before%20Utube_zps8rhgkw7h.jpg

Screen grab of the video before being uploaded to youtube ...

A direct comparison between the two screen grabs shows a very minor loss in detail in the youtube video ..
The trees in the left outside the factory are reasonably sharp in the video Pre U tube , and soft in the U tube video ( I downloaded it ) ..

But by doing a direct comparison between two cams , sort of negates the youtube recoding ...

https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/ausdom-a261-vs-dome-g90-2304-x-1296.15048/ ( Like in this post )

I really wanted to compare a video where I changed the container and codec ( it looked sharper on U tube )
But having deleted my old video files , I cant do that . And for the life of me , I cant remember which video it was ...
+ VideoPad does not code in that format with the free version ( I think you get 30 days of full function before it reverts to being limited in output file type )

Thanks for this interesting message. Made a test and uploading directly from my camera to you gives me a good quality ;)

Transcend DrivePro 220 (with WiFi problems :))

Last edited:
Thanks for this interesting message. Made a test and uploading directly from my camera to you gives me a good quality ;)

Video marked as private.

one more test

Yes those are mexicans driving and nobody gives an inch of space @ 27 seconds

Last edited:
Back