How to penetrate vehicle roof with camera cables?

Torf

Reaction score
Country
United States
Is there a standard method or product for punching a low-height cable access hole through a car roof, and keeping the wind-blown rain, snow, dust, etc out?

I would like to feed about six to eight 3-5 mm cables for waterproof cameras from the roof rack into the cabin, and to be able to go back and make changes later. I don't want just a big glob of sticky messy caulk squished into the drilled roof hole.

I am thinking something made of of plastic, and shaped like a short mushroom stem and cap might work to pass cables and keep out water, but I am not finding anything like this in my web searches. I have no idea what it would be called or who would sell it.

There's probably something for boats. (vaguely remember something) Check West Marine online, or some other big online marine supply house.

What kind of vehicle?

It's just a standard sport-utility style vehicle, an old Honda.

Oh, and I apologize but the following is NOT what I am looking for, since most waterproof bullet-camera cables like from INNOVV already have connectors attached, and I would like to avoid having to cut and splice wires to get them through the tiny cable feed holes in this "entry gland" thing:

Amazon: LINKSOLAR Weatherproof ABS Solar Plastic Double Cable Entry Gland
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/B0111RNZDY

Some sort of large fold-over / push-down sealing clamp or cap would be better, so the attached camera connectors can go through a big open 15-25 mm hole into the vehicle, but with a foam seal on the cap that squishes down, around, and between the cables.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
RonB256 DIY Projects 2
Back