[SOLVED] circuit that allows 3.7v battery charging and 5v USB pass through at the same time.

O_P

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I've been looking at supercaps and powerbanks and USB UPS systems and reading a lot of stuff on here and had wondered why nobody seems to have linked to something like this yet.

It allows you move the battery out of your camera and into somewhere in your car that is likely to be cooler. It keeps the battery charged while also providing power to the dashcam over the USB port.
In the event the car battery becomes disconnected the power from the battery will still provide power to the dashcam.

This is the same kind of circuit that is in the lukas and celllink products that sell for hundreds of dollars.
For $20 plus the cost of a decent 3.7v cell you can build your own.

I'm going to pick one up and try it out.

you could maybe build yourself a battery power supply to run a camera for parking mode, removing the battery from the camera though is probably still going to be a problem

Or use it to charge something like a powerbank? Power it from a 12V to 5V common car adapter, and then plug it back into the dash cam. That way you have power/charging when your vehicle is on, but the it uses the reserves from the poeerbank when it's off. At least that's how I'm understanding it.

Back