Adding a Sun Visor to Itronics

Mitch

Reaction score
Country
Singapore
I am thinking of a simple DIY project to add a sun visor to the ITB100HD to protect the DVR from some sunlight.

I found some cheap parts online which is possible to do this and the plastic can be cut to size to shade the DVR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130772281787?it ... bb&vxp=mtr

4189-3.jpg

The possible location will be double-sided adhesive mount to the windscreen or onto the body of the DVR.
Please let me know of any comments or suggestions. :geek:

Mitch said:
I am thinking of a simple DIY project to add a sun visor to the ITB100HD to protect the DVR from some sunlight.

I found some cheap parts online which is possible to do this and the plastic can be cut to size to shade the DVR.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/130772281787?it ... bb&vxp=mtr

4189-3.jpg

The possible location will be double-sided adhesive mount to the windscreen or onto the body of the DVR.
Please let me know of any comments or suggestions. :geek:

Anything is worth a try. I have been thinking or something white or metal foil as a reflector. Maybe even a mirror. I have been considering adding a thermometer sensor like what I have for a computer that you can attach to a hard drive or CPU which has a digital readout. My ITB is hot(well, very warm anyway) to the touch in normal weather. I will be preparing for the hot summer here in New England. I always have the AC running and will not leave it powered up when parked.

I say good luck with you little visor so please post back with your results.

Al

Would something like a sunshade for for a TomTom GPS be of any use?
It is a soft and flexible type sunshade, I used to have one for my TomTom until I left it behind in a Rent-A-Car. :(

Sun_Shape_Zu.jpg

suparoo said:
Would something like a sunshade for for a TomTom GPS be of any use?
It is a soft and flexible type sunshade, I used to have one for my TomTom until I left it behind in a Rent-A-Car. :(

Sun_Shape_Zu.jpg

Thanks for sharing! That will be exactly what I wanted. Now if I can find something smaller to fit and shade the ITB.

Al Drake said:
Anything is worth a try. I have been thinking or something white or metal foil as a reflector. Maybe even a mirror. I have been considering adding a thermometer sensor like what I have for a computer that you can attach to a hard drive or CPU which has a digital readout. My ITB is hot(well, very warm anyway) to the touch in normal weather. I will be preparing for the hot summer here in New England. I always have the AC running and will not leave it powered up when parked.

Al

Thanks! I am still looking for alternatives. Mounting a visor on the ITB will be quite challenging due to the limited space between the windscreen mount and the ITB camera.

Mitch said:
Al Drake said:

Al

Thanks! I am still looking for alternatives. Mounting a visor on the ITB will be quite challenging due to the limited space between the windscreen mount and the ITB camera.

Mine always feels warm which makes me wonder if the back should be open or vented. Is your actually exposed to direct rays of the sun?

Al Drake said:
Mine always feels warm which makes me wonder if the back should be open or vented. Is your actually exposed to direct rays of the sun?

My ITB is parked under direct outdoor sunlight most of the time. The DVR feels warm especially when operating under direct outdoor sunlight. The black matt DVR body will easily absorb the sun rays causing extra heat. If there is a way to shade or partially shade the DVR, there will be less outdoor heat absorbed into the DVR from the sun rays.

Mitch said:
Al Drake said:

My ITB is parked under direct outdoor sunlight most of the time. The DVR feels warm especially when operating under direct outdoor sunlight. The black matt DVR body will easily absorb the sun rays causing extra heat. If there is a way to shade or partially shade the DVR, there will be less outdoor heat absorbed into the DVR from the sun rays.
I park in the shade at work and a garage at home so there is no exposure to direct sun not to mention it hasn't been warm yet but still the unit feels warm. It must just be the operating temperatures. It still would be a good idea to get it to run cooler to extend the life.

I am putting this project KIV aside for the time being until I come across a nice DVR sun shade/visor/cover. Any suggestions is still welcomed.

Mitch said:
I am putting this project KIV aside for the time being until I come across a nice DVR sun shade/visor/cover. Any suggestions is still welcomed.
Paint it white for starters.

Drill one straight row of 6-7 holes at the bottom and same amount at the top of dash cam body / case to create an air flow for for better heat dissipation. Hot air rises from bottom to the top, this is laws of physics, thats why need top row holes. Bottom holes need to create a free airflow to cool down dash cam body and its inner components.
This technique worked on dash cameras. Try and you will see some difference.

niko what about dust entering the holes and settling or being trapped inside over time, is that likely to affect the Dash Cam?

niko what about dust entering the holes and settling or being trapped inside over time, is that likely to affect the Dash Cam?

Any electronics equipment with vents or "holes", attracts dust over time. Dust will be "trapped" inside if there is no "escape", but the more holes / vents, - the more chance for dust to "escape".

Back