Decision Help Needed

I'm bringing this thread back to life!! It seems there are cheaper cams with the same processor, but it seems the other mentioned don't have as wide of viewing angle. The X1 has 165 degrees, but others mentioned that have the same quality video such as the G1W-C only have 120 degrees. I would think having a greater viewing angle would be pretty important as to catch as much going on around you as possible. Are there others that are similar in quality but still have as wide of a viewing angle??

...The X1 has 165 degrees, but others mentioned that have the same quality video such as the G1W-C only have 120 degrees....
The advertised FOV is not the most accurate specification you'll find. My G1W-H had a claimed FOV of 160 degrees, but my SG9665GC at 135 degrees was actually wider. This in side-by-side comparisons.

Super Wide angle captures "more" as far as angle goes but over all it captures less details due to the way the light is bent and smushed together. (So it's a trade off).
Is the less detail in the whole picture, or just at the edges? I can deal with less edge detail. It's better than no picture at all. I feel like if someone hits you from a front angle, a wider view may capture something such as a red light, ran stop sign, etc. Whereas if you have less total picture you might not get vital video, even if it's not as clear.

Is the less detail in the whole picture, or just at the edges? I can deal with less edge detail. It's better than no picture at all. I feel like if someone hits you from a front angle, a wider view may capture something such as a red light, ran stop sign, etc. Whereas if you have less total picture you might not get vital video, even if it's not as clear.

I find it harder to read license plate numbers all around when a camera is too wide. This is why the latest Street Guardian products are medium wide rather than super wide. (a happy middle)

the challenge with wide angles is they have a smaller focal sweet spot and they also make things look further away than they actually are, when it's your own camera you're aware of this and know what's going on, it can skew the perspective though for others that might view your video, as with lots of things it's not that one is necessarily right or wrong, just different

Last edited:
Well my decision hasn't got any easier.... LOL I like the fact that the X1 has GPS, but I don't know if that's worth the extra money just for that feature. I'm usually speeding so I don't know what else it would come in handy for, except an alibi.
I'm really liking the G1W-CB more now.

if GPS isn't an issue and you don't mind not having a display have a look at the Mobius, higher quality than the others you're considering

I checked into the mobius. I want something with a screen.

Be aware, KDLinks X1 has reliability issues.
https://dashcamtalk.com/kdlinks-x1/#Battery_Swells_Explodes

Super Wide angle captures "more" as far as angle goes but over all it captures less details due to the way the light is bent and smushed together. (So it's a trade off).

I purchased my KDlinks thru Amazon during their Prime Deal day. I've had it for 12 days now and had one issue, the GPS wouldnt connect at times. A minor problem as it captures the MPH/KHM. Sometimes it would link up in a couple of minutes, sometimes as much as 10 minutes. Their support team is awesome. After emailing them about the GPS problem my first response was in 2 hours. After a couple of diagnostic emails over 2 days my slowest response time was 4 hours. They sent a new GPS mount, as some are aware the GPS is in the suction mount, so its separate from the cam unit itself.

So no other problems to this posting, no battery issues and I'm leaving it in the car in Ohio with temps hitting 93 degress outside. I'm a newbie here and just wanted to share my experience with this dashcam. The Prime deal day price was $129, and I'd been looking into a dashcam, but wasnt into paying $169 + for one. The vids are crisp HD and night is good enuff 2 capture anything for insurance or police reports to cover your vehicle. I'll try and put up some night drives so you can decide. But like I said its only been 12 days. But I'm confident in their support staff, their out of Atlanta, GA as far as shipping warranty issues. Thats where my GPS unit came from and it was at my house in 2 days after they notified me of them shipping and provided me a tracking number. They even told me to keep the old GPS unit as they didnt want me to waste my time in returning it.

Just my 2 cents 4 what its worth.

Bill

Give it a few more months, problems seem to surface a few months later per the updated 1 star reviews. If you're ok with warranty replacements be sure to check the camera is still operating often. Any battery DashCam is a bad idea especially when it's left parked in the sun.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C kdLinks 2
Back