Capacitor based dashcam

FYI, it's reported that Foxoffer owns Viofo, so you know your getting the real deal.

Can you not get from Foxoffer on EBay? I would avoid getting a A118c from Gearbest. Probably won't be Viofo. The A119 from Gearbest should be a Viofo A119. There are no copy's out yet.
The A119 at 79.99$ on Gearbest is a good deal, on Foxoffer it is 89.99$, only a shame that Gearbest doesn't quote what is in the box. So it may as well come without mount or charging cable.

If you would have to choose between A119 Non Gps at 79.99 and 0826 with Gps at 73.99, which would be your choice?

A119 has just release recently. No one know it's reliable or not. Mini 0826 is not a reliable model. So if i were, i would not choice any of two.
Image quality of mobius in youtube is suck. You can down sample clip in here and see Techmoan's review about mobius. :)
1296p or 1080p: it doesn't matter unless you can see it in 1296p monitor.
Good luck with your choice.

A119 has just release recently. No one know it's reliable or not. Mini 0826 is not a reliable model. So if i were, i would not choice any of two.
Image quality of mobius in youtube is suck. You can down sample clip in here and see Techmoan's review about mobius. :)
1296p or 1080p: it doesn't matter unless you can see it in 1296p monitor.
Good luck with your choice.

Thanks for that video manual. The picture does indeed look a lot better than the previous posted youtube. I will certainly look into this camera further.

I'm not familiar with the mini cams and while I am selling the A119's I really haven't had time to personally play around with it. While we don't know its reliability yet, spec wise the A119 is superior. With firmware updates, it should only improve from here.
Lots of users love the möbius. It does not have a screen though if that's important to you.

I'm not familiar with the mini cams and while I am selling the A119's I really haven't had time to personally play around with it. While we don't know its reliability yet, spec wise the A119 is superior. With firmware updates, it should only improve from here.
Lots of users love the möbius. It does not have a screen though if that's important to you.
The screen is certainly not on my bucket list, cos I doubt that even a 1.5" screen like on the other compact cameras is much of a use anyway. I guess that if you want to view you'll need to take out the sd card and put it in a phone, or connect a external viewing device to the cam.

What I'm not sure about is the importance of a G sensor, which the Mobius doesn't have.

I surely like the A119, but what I read about the A118C doesn't give me much confidence in it.

The Viofo A118C is as reliable as things can get for $50 and then some. The video quality my not be drool worthy; day or night but the hardware is for sure reliable. If that's anything to go by the A119's hardware should be of similar quality if not better, most probably better with the metal lens mount amongst other improvements. The video quality should improve with new firmwares as and when released.

I'm personally waiting to see how the A119s develops.

If you are interested in a no frills solution without any of the bells & whistles, get a Mobius 1 + the capacitor kit.

Is the G sensor an important option, or is just like the LDWS something you can do without?

You'll only really use the screen point the camera and make menu adjustments. I personally wouldn't like not having a screen, but others prefer it. You may want to use it on scene of any event, like an accident.
Don't judge the A119 in relation to the A118. Completely different animal. Plus there are now lots of A118 copies out there with inferior components.

Is the G sensor an important option, or is just like the LDWS something you can do without?
If you don't need/want parking mode or care if the camera automatically locks a file, then g sensor is not important.

If you don't need/want parking mode or care if the camera automatically locks a file, then g sensor is not important.

Parking mode I think is handy, but looking at some comments that 24/7 camera on is not advisable especially in a hot country, I may give that a miss.

However since I'm a noob regarding dash cams, I'm not sure how important the auto lock function is. I would think that with a capacitor camera the file will be saved anyway if the power is lost.

But of course, when losing consciousness with power established the camera keeps running, and I have no idea how long it would take before the file on a 32 Gb card is overwritten.

So I will appreciate opinions regarding the importance of a auto lock function.

Parking mode I think is handy, but looking at some comments that 24/7 camera on is not advisable especially in a hot country, I may give that a miss.

However since I'm a noob regarding dash cams, I'm not sure how important the auto lock function is. I would think that with a capacitor camera the file will be saved anyway if the power is lost.

But of course, when losing consciousness with power established the camera keeps running, and I have no idea how long it would take before the file on a 32 Gb card is overwritten.

You'll get around 3.5-4 hours of video on a 32gb card before it starts to loop. Battery or capacitor, g sensor will lock file.
Parking mode in your temps is not a good idea, however at night should be fine. No sun heating the car. Wouldn't run it overnight, but maybe for a few hours while at a restaurant or something.

No, it isn't. Never hear anything about G sensor helpful in any situation when driving.

G sensor would lock the file if in an accident. At least it should.

G sensor would lock the file if in an accident. At least it should.
I agree, but what for ? after accident, users will save the file immediately.
Customers often call me to complain about a file was not erased when they were driving thought bumps. Then i tell them about G - sensor, they all turned it off. :D

Thanks all for your help and contributions, which doesn't mean they aren't welcome anymore, my ball lays in the Viofo A119 camp at the moment.

With a 10% coupon available on the web, I can get the same price as Gearbest on the Foxoffer website.

I'm still in doubt if the optional GPS module will make any sense to order, and don't see an option to add the CPL filter lens.

Anyone know where to get that lens?

Thanks all for your help and contributions, which doesn't mean they aren't welcome anymore, my ball lays in the Viofo A119 camp at the moment.

With a 10% coupon available on the web, I can get the same price as Gearbest on the Foxoffer website.

I'm still in doubt if the optional GPS module will make any sense to order, and don't see an option to add the CPL filter lens.

Anyone know where to get that lens?
CPL is not available at this moment, it will be sold separately in near future.

Just reading an article about sd cards in dash cams, and it says that many cameras have issues with class 10 cards, so it's safer to use class 4 or 6.

http://jalopnik.com/the-best-budget-dash-cams-1688880273

A note about memory cards:

Most of these cameras use TF or Micro SD cards, and none of them come with them. Some can be finicky about the 'speed class' of cards they use. A number of these will have issue with class 10 cards, and class 4 or 6 seem to generally be the safest. When selecting your dashcam, do the research to find what class of card you need to buy!
Most of my tests were conducted with a class 4 card.

I understand that the higher the number, the faster the card can record, so why would the fastest card give issues then? So what is your experience, should I better go with a class 6 than a class 10?

Just reading an article about sd cards in dash cams, and it says that many cameras have issues with class 10 cards, so it's safer to use class 4 or 6.

http://jalopnik.com/the-best-budget-dash-cams-1688880273

I understand that the higher the number, the faster the card can record, so why would the fastest card give issues then? So what is your experience, should I better go with a class 6 than a class 10?
Wrong infor. Class 10 is the best for most dashcam. Transcend, lexar and few brands are recommended for using. Avoid Sandisk.

I re

I watched Techmoan's Beginner's guide to dachcam re G sensor and think it might not be appropriate if your roads has lots of pots holes as with tiny bump, the files will lock and you will end up with lots of useless locked files. He alsp explained that if one does really get into an accident, you can just stop the recording and bring out the SD card to replay.

Back