402G Dashcam replaced THREE times under warranty - how do I get the most out of the battery?

Has your battery failed before?

• Yes

Votes: 7 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters
Hmm, it does seem like the lense is a bit out of focus. Here's a video:
I am in absolute love with the colours and the overall quality, but is it true that the camera does seem slightly out of focus?

Not in a position to view the video right now, on mobile at the moment so no way to judge focus, maybe someone else will have a look and give you some feedback

Not in a position to view the video right now, on mobile at the moment so no way to judge focus, maybe someone else will have a look and give you some feedback
Ah, alright! I just called the shop and they said I could take it in so they could take a look at it. While I'm there, is the BlackVue 650 better than the 750? Seems like the 650 can pull a higher bitrate than the 750. I just feel like the image clarity should be better from such an expensive camera.

I would expect the video quality to be better than what I can see in the clip posted.
It could be out of focus or it could be the quality (or lack of quality) of the lens.
Or, being a dual-channel camera, it may be limiting the bitrate from each sensor in order to work within the processor's limitations, therefore lower image quality than if it was receiving images from just one sensor.

I would expect the video quality to be better than what I can see in the clip posted.
It could be out of focus or it could be the quality (or lack of quality) of the lens.
Or, being a dual-channel camera, it may be limiting the bitrate from each sensor in order to work within the processor's limitations, therefore lower image quality.

Yeah, it seems like some of the cheaper single cameras can boast about having better quality than the Blackvue dual camera (like the Dome). I'll head in to the retailer I bought it from tomorrow and ask for either a refund or a change. To avoid this happening again, is there a specific camera which is just widely known as being the best dashcam out there right now?

at some point after the 12 months the battery will fail and will need to be replaced. there is a thread over here:
https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/threads/nextbase-402g-battery-replacement-ls430.12733/

If it has not yet failed it will do at some point as the batteries are cheap. It might be the reason why these are going for £50 on ebay refurb. The reason why the last file does not save is because the battery in the camera is dead. You turn off your car but you DO NOT turn off or shut the camera down before. To resolve this you make sure your camera is turned off first before turning off the engine.

To resolve this you make sure your camera is turned off first before turning off the engine.

I doubt that anyone will remember this advice when slumped in the driving seat, dazed & confused in the aftermath of a car accident. The outcome is a corrupted file, & no video evidence of the dashcam owner's innocence.

A dashcam with a failed or failing battery isn't fit for purpose.

The corrupted file can be repaired using additional third party software and yes the corruption does occur if you cut the power. The battery does not kick in and as a result the device corrupts the file. the file however can still be played on the device and it can be repaired on a computer.

If the camera is out of warranty you can only try fix this yourself or buy a new one. I have 6 of these batteries to replace in nextbase 402 and after they have been replaced i will never ever buy a nextbase camera again for the same reason you are stating. Same goes for DOD as the insides and parts are pretty much the same apart.

The corrupted file can be repaired using additional third party software...

Over the past few years I've read quite a few posts here by people with corrupted files containing evidence they wanted to recover.

I cannot recall anyone reporting success in the recovery of a corrupted file.

They must be using the wrong software or doing it wrong. I have recovered around 7 files and each file has been used for insurance, been repaired fine etc. If those members are still around please get in contact and i will help

Battery issues I found on 3 x nextbase 101, 202 lite(1 of), and lastly 402G, as well as freezing in use, turning off, turning audio off, constantly changing time/date/settings, 4 batteries under warranty in 2 years on 402, would not recommend these cams to anybody, even refuse to sell my 402 to a mate for £100 offered, as don't want the comeback when it buggers up again!!

I had a 402g January 2016 by march 2016 the unit was sent back to nextbase hq for new better battery & firmware update. Got sent back and the battery lasted for around a year buefite giving up, so now it won't turn on after it's been fully charged! So I've brought the next base 412gw model and seems ok

Back