Thinkware F50

Sir Loin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like the new Thinkware F50 is available in In a few countries now. It seems to be a decent dashcam with a reasonable price. There are a couple videos about it on YouTube. I wonder if it has a built-in voltage cut off like its big brother F770.

http://www.thinkware.com/Products/Dashcam/f50

That cam has a really good image. I can read the plates without problem.

Yes all the Thinkware cameras have parking mode (When Hardwired) & voltage / timer cut off.

Wow night footage is impressive, just got our demo model in today can't wait to test.
Looks like that Thai company tested it on a Fiesta, reminds me of the glare from my own Fiesta... :oops:

Yes all the Thinkware cameras have parking mode (When Hardwired) & voltage / timer cut off.

I see nothing in the manual that states it has a built-in voltmeter as the threadstater asked (like QVIA T790): http://download2.inavi.com/dashcam/f50_0/manual/f50_um_eng_rev.01.pdf

I looked at this cam pretty closely a couple weeks ago. Marginally ok for $120, but definitely far from a bargain in comparison to other feature-filled cameras at far lower prices. True parking mode and true tiny size (roughly 3"x 1.25" x 1") are pluses, but should have included WiFi (and I wouldn't have minded paying $20-30 more for it).

My opinion may possibly change with other footage but, judging from the above video, night quality is subpar and disappointing for a 2016 camera.

EDIT: I was wrong. It does appear to have a "voltmeter" or something like it. I don't know how I missed it the first time but @BlackboxMyCar's comment led me to look again and it is covered on page 20 of the manual under "Record Settings".

Last edited:
You can see the voltage detection in that video shared, but I can verify in the settings of my demo model that voltage cutoff/timer are built in
As far as I can tell, most of the settings are similar to other Thinkware devices, the 12V hardwire kit for the F750/F770 is also the same for the F50
Timer: 6/12/24/48h
Voltage cutoff: 11.6/11.7/11.8/11.9/12.0/12.1/12.2/12.3V

Unfortunately no infinity timer setting, when paired with our Cellink + expansion pack I can definitely see this F50 record for more than 48 hours.
There is an external GPS input although we don't have the accessory to test it with but I see options for time zone, speed stamp, and road safety warnings
Bitrate is 10 Mbps normal mode, 5 Mbps for parking mode (same as F750, no choice for super night vision mode like the F770) there's also no choice for wide dynamic range although brightness has 3 settings

Night time video quality definitely doesn't look as good as Thinkware's higher end models, it's noticeably noisier and fuzzier but for the price point and features I think it's pretty good.
It's half the price of Blackvue's DR450-1CH and offers a smaller size/better video quality,
Qvia's wifi feature is nice but also almost double the price and bigger, video quality seems about the same from what I've seen

You can see the voltage detection in that video shared, but I can verify in the settings of my demo model that voltage cutoff/timer are built in
As far as I can tell, most of the settings are similar to other Thinkware devices, the 12V hardwire kit for the F750/F770 is also the same for the F50

Unfortunately no infinity timer setting, when paired with our Cellink + expansion pack I can definitely see this F50 record for more than 48 hours.
There is an external GPS input although we don't have the accessory to test it with but I see options for time zone, speed stamp, and road safety warnings
Bitrate is 10 Mbps normal mode, 5 Mbps for parking mode (same as F750, no choice for super night vision mode like the F770) there's also no choice for wide dynamic range although brightness has 3 settings

Night time video quality definitely doesn't look as good as Thinkware's higher end models, it's noticeably noisier and fuzzier but for the price point and features I think it's pretty good.
It's half the price of Blackvue's DR450-1CH and offers a smaller size/better video quality,
Qvia's wifi feature is nice but also almost double the price and bigger, video quality seems about the same from what I've seen

You are correct. I see the section about managing voltage in the manual now. Don't know how I completely missed it the first time.

I'm pushing for an Infinite timer setting for exactly that reason. Thinkware have said if they get enough support for it they will try and implement it. So if you have any Thinkware contacts give them a nudge!!

I'm pushing for an Infinite timer setting for exactly that reason. Thinkware have said if they get enough support for it they will try and implement it. So if you have any Thinkware contacts give them a nudge!!
Or more likely repackage the F50 in to new device and get you to buy a new one, thinkware doesn't have a good track record of adding anything that will be of use after its release.

Maybe an obvious question but how do you position the camera?
I assume you have to visually get it pointing in the right direction, but, it seems a little hit or miss with no screen or wifi- unless there's some adjustment built in that I'm missing?

Maybe an obvious question but how do you position the camera?
I assume you have to visually get it pointing in the right direction, but, it seems a little hit or miss with no screen or wifi- unless there's some adjustment built in that I'm missing?

Typically I would just align it with something in the vehicle I know is parallel to the ground. The up/down alignment you can adjust afterwards
One of our Blackvue customers had his cameras professionally installed and they used these levels to ensure the camera's alignment
unnamed_14_large.jpg

OK,so took the plunge and bought one.
Thought process was-
  • My cars already got all the toys fitted so didn't need anything other than a basic DC
  • Because of the above I've not got any room behind the mirror as there a large plastic housing. Therefore need a small size cam.
  • Fed up with poor reliability of Chinese DC's, so went for a "named" manufacturer.
  • Sony Exmor sensor.
  • Purchased off Chameleon and took advantage of the current discount code so the price makes it cheaper than a lot of DC's on ebay.
  • Can add GPS if I want but not really sure if I need it.
  • Can add parking mode later - again not sure if I need it but might do in the future.
After installing it -
Pros
  • Smallish size (not super compact but small enough - just)
  • Quick set up - except for camera alignment (see Cons). Just plugged it in and off it goes. I like to tinker and it was king of refreshing not to feel the need!
  • Excellent Picture quality - in daylight anyway. Not had a chance to test night quality.
  • Super simple to use.
Cons
  • Lack of screen/wifi. This was a bit of a pain when trying to set the camera up. I've bought a sd card adaptor for my phone and had to remove the card and view it on the phone to set the DC up. Because of the lack of space already mentioned I had to move the camera about/take the sd card out/view in phone a lot before I was happy. Just how much would it have cost to build in wifi? Now its set up its going to be dead easy to view the video but this is definitely a minus point.
  • Size - not as small as I thought it would be, especially with the design of the mount. I'm sure with a bit of thought the mount could hold the camera in a little tighter, but I'm just nit picking here.
  • I've not driven the car, but I did notice the video seemed a little "barrel shaped" at the edges. Can't say I noticed this on any of my Mini DC's?
So first impressions are really positive. Sometimes less is more.
I still need to tidy up the installation and drive around a bit before I take some pics and look to upload so video.

Glad you like it. I am still waiting for my preorder from blackboxmycar.com. Should be here soon.

OK,so took the plunge and bought one.
Thought process was-
  • My cars already got all the toys fitted so didn't need anything other than a basic DC
  • Because of the above I've not got any room behind the mirror as there a large plastic housing. Therefore need a small size cam.
  • Fed up with poor reliability of Chinese DC's, so went for a "named" manufacturer.
  • Sony Exmor sensor.
  • Purchased off Chameleon and took advantage of the current discount code so the price makes it cheaper than a lot of DC's on ebay.
  • Can add GPS if I want but not really sure if I need it.
  • Can add parking mode later - again not sure if I need it but might do in the future.
After installing it -
Pros
  • Smallish size (not super compact but small enough - just)
  • Quick set up - except for camera alignment (see Cons). Just plugged it in and off it goes. I like to tinker and it was king of refreshing not to feel the need!
  • Excellent Picture quality - in daylight anyway. Not had a chance to test night quality.
  • Super simple to use.
Cons
  • Lack of screen/wifi. This was a bit of a pain when trying to set the camera up. I've bought a sd card adaptor for my phone and had to remove the card and view it on the phone to set the DC up. Because of the lack of space already mentioned I had to move the camera about/take the sd card out/view in phone a lot before I was happy. Just how much would it have cost to build in wifi? Now its set up its going to be dead easy to view the video but this is definitely a minus point.
  • Size - not as small as I thought it would be, especially with the design of the mount. I'm sure with a bit of thought the mount could hold the camera in a little tighter, but I'm just nit picking here.
  • I've not driven the car, but I did notice the video seemed a little "barrel shaped" at the edges. Can't say I noticed this on any of my Mini DC's?
So first impressions are really positive. Sometimes less is more.
I still need to tidy up the installation and drive around a bit before I take some pics and look to upload so video.

Don't forget if you add a GPS antenna you can get safety camera alerts too (if required)

Just looked over some sample videos I recorded with our demo F50, I would say video is on par with some of the older Blackvue models. Not quite up there with the DR650 or FineVu CR500 but it's also a fraction of the price.
Hopefully I can compile and upload some sample clips later tonight
Not sure what's taking so long for this shipment to arrive, left Canadian warehouse last Thursday.

EDIT: Shipment was lost by purolator, distributor hand delivered a replacement shipment today. Will be shipping them out on Tuesday (Holiday on Monday here in Canada)

Last edited:
I do not see the GPS module listed on any sites.

Does this use the same GPS module as another Thinkware model?

RodeoGeorge

I do not see the GPS module listed on any sites.

Does this use the same GPS module as another Thinkware model?

RodeoGeorge
Yes there is only 1 gps antenna that does all models

And next question.

Is a cpl Filter i the works?

With the way my dash and other accessories are arranged, I need the filter to obtain decent video.

RodeoGeorge

Quick question. Does the F50 model have any compatibility with the Thinkware Video Viewer app for iOS/Android?

Quick question. Does the F50 model have any compatibility with the Thinkware Video Viewer app for iOS/Android?
Nope dont think so.
You need WiFi to connect to the DC which the F50 doesn't have.
In saying that I can plug the SD card into a card reader and use a FileExplorer on my phone (Nexus 5X) to view the video.
Bit of a faff but it does work.
It's that or the Desktop app.

Back