Need advice from video experts

Paul Schmehl

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Street Guardian SG9663DCPRO (front cam only)
I recently ordered a Ddapi M6+. This will be my first dash cam. My wife and I and going on a 3000 mile trip in the near future, and I have this crazy idea to use the dash cam and another camera I own to record the trip. Then when I get home, I want to put together a travelogue of the trip, showing the highlights and some of the beautiful sights that we will see along the way.

I've never done anything like this before, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about doing this.

I've downloaded and installed Avidemux2.6. I've done some reading on using Quicktime to splice videos together. But if you know any gotchas or tips that would help, please share them.

I'd like this to at least have captioning if not narration, if that's possible.

Looks like I can use iMovie to do everything I want to do; splice video clips and stills together, add transitions and captioning and even music.

I recently ordered a Ddapi M6+. This will be my first dash cam. My wife and I and going on a 3000 mile trip in the near future, and I have this crazy idea to use the dash cam and another camera I own to record the trip. Then when I get home, I want to put together a travelogue of the trip, showing the highlights and some of the beautiful sights that we will see along the way.

I've never done anything like this before, so I'd appreciate any advice on how to go about doing this.

I've downloaded and installed Avidemux2.6. I've done some reading on using Quicktime to splice videos together. But if you know any gotchas or tips that would help, please share them.

I'd like this to at least have captioning if not narration, if that's possible.

Hi Paul,

If you are particularly interested in using your dashcam to capture the scenery during your road trip, prepping you car for a clear and glare-free footage is one of the most important first steps. The way to achieve that is by covering your dash with a black cloth. Here is a picture of my setup; notice a black cloth in my car dash. This cloth is actually a black curtain I bought at Walmart. I have found the material to be quite non-reflective, making it a very good anti-glare dash cover. As you can see, I am actually using a camcorder for my videos. But your dash cover setup should be very similar for any type of cameras.

DSC00065.JPG

One more thing, consider capturing long videos, and then speed it up with the video editor. You will be able to include more scenery in your videos without making it too terribly long and boring to watch.

Thanks. Your input is valuable. We're going to be driving through the Great Lakes area of Wisconsin and Michigan, and I want my kids to see how really beautiful it is up there.

That setup looks like some of the vehicles near the US/Mexican border.

Lol. I wonder what the border patrol will say if I am heading to Mexico one day and have all those equipments setup. Hopefully they will not force me to take them down.

Lol. I wonder what the border patrol will say if I am heading to Mexico one day and have all those equipments setup. Hopefully they will not force me to take them down.
I have seen a lot of them, but not being used for the nice videos you provide. They actually have enough cameras to cover every angle from inside the vehicle they drive. I cross the border often with no problems so far with my cameras. Let us know in advance in case you disappear in some Mexican jail though :D

Yeah we will need a address for our care packages :)

Back