Not happy with the Joovuu X

My experience with JX isn't all that smooth either.
First the camera is focused on the windshield reflection in the daytime. That left the actual road kind of not in focus.
At night it's fine because the windshield reflection isn't as bad. this could be due to my setup and mounting.

I had the camera for a week now and it constantly stops recording. The led would turn green from blinking red. I have to press the record button twice to get it to record again. Not sure what's the issue there. I checked the website and I have latest firmware, got the cam from pier28.

The camera also constantly beeps for some reason, (not stop recording). My guess is the GPS signal lock & lost beep. No way to turn it off.
I have most feature turned off. Motion detect, GPS, etc and recording with 1920x1080 30fps HDR.

I appreciate the added feature and resolution compared to the Mobius, but my JX is not reliable enough to be my front camera.
I'm thinking to return it and get another Mobius... Mobius is more trouble to setup but it's reliable and really set and forget.

Hi @hollandog
This problem we are aware of and we are preparing a firmware update to fix these issues.

We are hoping to release this update tomorrow to solve these problems or Friday :)

I do apologise for this and if you drop me a PM I'll get something sorted for you asap :)

Cheers,

Dan

Sounds good. I will wait for the update and decide.
I placed the GPS under the really dark tinted spot in the windshield, does the GPS unit require very clear access to the sky?

It might be because the GPS signal lock is not very strong, thus the beep constantly.

I'll post footage later for the front focus and it'd be great if there's any advice for workaround.

@hollandog
The GPS beeps are something we will be disabling - some people like them, some people don't. I'm hoping this will be included in the next firmware update but our main focus for this one was to get the stability back.

Placing the GPS under the really dark tinted spot should be fine (I have mine under the dark spotty area near the rearview mirror) and it works fine - as long as there's no iron/metal/ etc to interfere there shouldn't be a problem.

The focus is an issue we are addressing, you can easily re-adjust focus. I'll respond to your PM now with how to do it :)

Cheers,

I'm sorry to say the JX is according to my experience too buggy and unreliable to suite a set-and-forget installation without a constant tweaking and updating and monitoring of the support forum. That's not the reason I bought it. So unfortunately the JX is out of the car and replaced by more reliable alternatives. My experience is that Joovuu really has done its best to solve all issues but they can only do so much. The otherwise great camera is let down by its firmware. As for now I can't recommended this camera for future buyers. I wish I could but I just can't. I'm sorry.

I'm sorry to say the JX is according to my experience too buggy and unreliable to suite a set-and-forget installation without a constant tweaking and updating and monitoring of the support forum. That's not the reason I bought it. So unfortunately the JX is out of the car and replaced by more reliable alternatives. My experience is that Joovuu really has done its best to solve all issues but they can only do so much. The otherwise great camera is let down by its firmware. As for now I can't recommended this camera for future buyers. I wish I could but I just can't. I'm sorry.

Hi dino,
What firmware are you running?

Since the July 4th firmware most bugs have been knocked out - and the August 16th firmware seems to have knocked all reported bugs out. Drop me a emssage as I'd like to get this sorted as I genuinely think you might have a bad camera but looking at the reports from customers and the forum the latest firmware has addressed your concerns?

Cheers,

Some of the earlier firmwares had issues but in almost all cases, using uncomplicated settings, I rarely if ever had any trouble except with some April-May FW which didn't agree with my car's curious power supply and stop-start system but which have been amended in July-August FW.

I've been running two X-cams on fairly uncomplicated settings and not had any problems with the most recent August FW. One cam has mid-August FW and 32GB Transcend Premium, the other with a Beta/unreleased/non-public modified version of mid-August FW and 64GB Samsung Evo.

* Disclaimer: I'm nominally a Beta-tester for JooVuu but I haven't received anything in the form of incentives because I bought my cams at full price (~£100 each - one at the end of last year and one early this year) and subsequently volunteered as a Beta in the spring of this year.

-

@2000rpm : What would you think of using a Transcend premium 64GB card with this cam? That's been a good card for my other cams and I need to order some more soon.

Phil

Hi. With the August 16 FW, I am using a genuine 64GB Class 10 Kingston microsd card with no issues at all. PS I have no benefit whatsoever if you are going to buy a Kingston card.

@2000rpm : What would you think of using a Transcend premium 64GB card with this cam? That's been a good card for my other cams and I need to order some more soon.

Phil

I haven't tried a TS Premium 64GB but the TS Premium 32GB has been trouble-free in many cams, as are all TS cards I've tried. If I needed another 64GB card and a TSP64 came along at the right price, I'd happily buy it and use it.
My preferred cards are 32GB in size because that size seems to cause people less trouble. 64GB+ seem more likely to be inexplicably troublesome. I'm not a fan of Kingston cards and probably wouldn't use one in a dashcam even if it was free.

The 64GB cards I currently use are a Lexar 633x in SGZC12RC which has been trouble-free for about eight months and never been formatted in that time. Also two Samsung Evo - one in a JooVuu-X which seems fine and one in a Cobra 840E which is also fine after being formatted by the cam to FAT32.

Anyway......the bottom line is that I like Transcend products.

Thanks for the thoughts and me too on Transcend cards. I've got a Samsung EVO 32GB card which has been good but not much used as I like a longer record time. I think I'll try that one while waiting on the new Transcends. Probably next week before I do the install; there's going to be a learning curve involved and my old brain needs time to prepare for that onslaught :rolleyes:

Phil

In all my dash cams, digital cameras and smartphones, I have used or I am using genuine Kingston cards of different capacities, types and classes with no problems. My wife uses Samsung cards also without problems.

Back