Waiting for the DR650GW-2CH mostly concerned about parking period

Charles Sena

Reaction score
Country
Spain
As far as I can understand it, this Dash-cam enters the parking mode after 5 minutes of car inactivity and in order to power it up you need to have some sort of power supply your lighter plug does not give due to being disconnected from the car battery, in my case a 2016 GTE. Being brand new and not wanting to run into warranty issues, I don't want to hardwire or touch any of the electrics, just run the needed cables without even removing any pannels or covers; that I can do after checking in my car the routing the manufacturer suggests. My lighter socket is as many cars between the two front seats, so during driving that's where I plan to plug the unit to get the power. The obvious solution for my dilemma would be one of those battery packs such as Power Magic Battery Pack (B112) or Cellink b, but I find them tremendously expensive for what they are, so I'm actually looking for some kind of 12 VDC battery pack that I can charge as I drive using the lighter socket, that doesn't ruin me? I use such devices for my flashes in photography and they cost peanuts. Problem is they are not powerful enough for the Dash-Cam (or at least that's what I believe).
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Charles

My car is brand new and I hard wired it myself. No way you can F this up. Trust me, if your car is new, you're going to want to hardwire it and hide all the wires. Make it look as clean and OEM as possible.

I doubt it would void warranty. Plus since you're tapping the fuse, the only thing that can mess up is a blown fuse. Which is why you are protected 3 ways when you hardwire.

I believe there is a fuse in the powermagic pro, plus the fuse in the fuse box AND a couple of fuse on the "tap a fuse wiring kit".

------

Also, if you want to just connect the camera do the socket, parking mode does not work. So you don't have to worry about that. it's just a simple car on, camera on, car off, camera off solution.

I agonised over this for weeks - see some of my early posts months ago. I ended up bitying the bullet and getting the best, Cellink b

check out the Magnuson-Moss warranty act, it basically states that the manufacturer cannot "void" your warranty if its not justified. i.e. they can't tell you that your engine failing is caused by you adding a fuse.
but if you bring in your car for problems and they find out it was only a fuse, and it was the same fuse that you tapped.... then you may have to pay for their time.
my horn stopped working on my 2015 jetta, i took it in and didn't remove my hardwiring. they fixed everything and didn't say anything about my dash cam.

edit - that a united states federal law..... so..... yeah... sorry... you can always remove the hardwiring if you have to take it in. either way, i doubt the dealer will care.

Back