SGZC12RC ongoing issues with usb wiring

wumpyr99

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi everybody

I've installed four SGZC12RCs. I've got 2 of them installed as side cameras but I have large instability issues as I had to chop wiring cables to route them.

The cameras are mounted on the actual rear door frame at the top. To do this I have the original 5m cable running to the B pillar. Then I have a 2m extension cable that I connected and heat shrinked the ends together to keep it secure. I had to cut off the usb connector on the other end to run the cable through the door wiring grommet and up through the door frame and up around the window frame.

I chopped off a 25 cm angled cable that connects to the camera and I've resoldered the 4 wires on each side, heatshrinked each one individually and then another over all four.

It does work but both side cameras are not reliable. I can't get more than two days of proper operation. I've been testing this for a couple of months. The SGZC12RC exhibit different behaviours during operation:

- Picture freezes after some random time and blue light goes solid, thinking there's no activity.
- After some random time, SGZC12RC goes into flashing red, connect sensor error message. If I power cycle the unit via the top button, it comes back fine again without touching any cabling
- After some random time, the unit powers off. Pressing the power button starts the unit again and it's back working.

I have no issues at all with the front/rear cameras (didn't need to cut any cabling). All cameras run off Cellink B packs.

I was very careful to solder correctly. How can I troubleshoot this to understand what the exact issue is with the wiring?

thanks

Altering or modifying the cable is not recommend. I would think they are much too fragile for a DIY project.

Understand, though I had no choice to get wiring through the door.

Is this possibly a shielding issue?
Is there a way to get the SGZC12RC to log errors to the flash card? and increase log verbosity as well?
How can I see diagnostics on the unit to camera protocol?
Is there a diagnostics build I can load to see more info?

You're the first person I'm aware of modifying a video cable. Maybe @jokiin would have further advice. There is no logging options or advanced diagnostics out in the field consumer side with Zoran SDK that we know of. (need special equipment and probes in the lab)

I'll have to check with the engineer to see if he has any thoughts on issues you may have due to cutting and joining the wires, connect sensor error message does point to a cable issue, had you tested the extension cables before cutting them (not all cables are suitable, @niko has tested a bunch of different cables and might have some input on that), are the cables shielded, did you also rejoin the shielding?

if you have more than one, just swap the control box over and see if problems still persist you know what the issue is.

if you have more than one, just swap the control box over and see if problems still persist you know what the issue is.

likewise the cameras can be swapped, both sides doing it is most likely the cable mod, some extension cables themselves aren't reliable even without cutting them

I'll have to check with the engineer to see if he has any thoughts on issues you may have due to cutting and joining the wires, connect sensor error message does point to a cable issue, had you tested the extension cables before cutting them (not all cables are suitable, @niko has tested a bunch of different cables and might have some input on that), are the cables shielded, did you also rejoin the shielding?

I tested the extension cables prior, they tested ok. Yes, the cables are shielded. I rewrapped the shielding around prior to the final heat shrinking. It's not technically joined to the last 25 cm angled cable shielding if that is what you are asking. Does that matter?

It's quite involved to replace the extension cable and resolder etc, so really looking for thoughts/more info first because I could try another cable supplier but if I get the same result it's a big waste of time/effort.

Any input from your engineers or help they can provide troubleshooting before I start pulling things apart/guessing, would be very much appreciated @jokiin

It's not technically joined to the last 25 cm angled cable shielding if that is what you are asking. Does that matter?

Possibly, that's something I need to find out

Any input from your engineers or help they can provide troubleshooting before I start pulling things apart/guessing, would be very much appreciated @jokiin

Still waiting on the reply, will let you know as soon as I get anything back from them

@jokiin Just wanted to update you a little bit. Lately I've seen more often that not with these side cameras with the chopped/rejoined cabling, that the main unit will eventually just sit there and say "Please connect sensor!". Not always but a lot of the time. Can we get the code changed to reset the camera circuit after a period of time when in this error state? As it seems to get stuck not detecting the camera but if you replug it in, it's back.

Also did the engineer have any suggestions here?

Thank you.

@jokiin Just wanted to update you a little bit. Lately I've seen more often that not with these side cameras with the chopped/rejoined cabling, that the main unit will eventually just sit there and say "Please connect sensor!". Not always but a lot of the time. Can we get the code changed to reset the camera circuit after a period of time when in this error state? As it seems to get stuck not detecting the camera but if you replug it in, it's back.

Also did the engineer have any suggestions here?

Thank you.

they're still looking at it but I'll see what they say about your suggestion and see if it's possible to automate a forced refresh

they're still looking at it but I'll see what they say about your suggestion and see if it's possible to automate a forced refresh

Ok thank you. This should make it a bit more resilient, at least help when the connection doesn't appear to be 100%.

Is there a suggested ~2M extension cable? I'm open to trying another cable manufacturer.

Ok thank you. This should make it a bit more resilient, at least help when the connection doesn't appear to be 100%.

Is there a suggested ~2M extension cable? I'm open to trying another cable manufacturer.

You may check my online store to see if you find suitable cables for your project: accessories-cables. Look for MicroUSB cables / adapters, they are all tested to work in combination with OEM supplied 5 and 2m video cables.

Just an update here. I've rewired one side camera. I've used a tiny female micro usb break out board on one end of the 2M OEM cable, soldering all 4 wires and ground/shield wires/sheath. I tried using DIY shell micro usb ends but they are way too small to solder, even with the finest tip. I then put heat shrink around it, then foil shielding tape around that, then heat shrink again over that. So far so good (5M+2M OEM) length.

I must say the OEM cables appear to be good quality, even the 2 wire green/white data cables inside are separately wrapped/shielded inside the main shielding wrap.

I'll see how it goes but hopefully this resolves it.

Last edited:
A coupe of pictures of the test one I made from a right angle adapter cable (pre heatshink, foil shielding, heatshrink). Ran this for a week in the house looking out the window at the trees, worked perfectly. Had to make the real one sitting right next to the car after it was wired through from the door frame.

20160913_072324.jpg

20160913_072228.jpg

Back