Using SGZC12RC with 5V External Battery Pack and 12V power supply

Much appreciated Nicko!
Also is you know the SG9665GC can be powered by 12V and 5V USB power bank at the same time as well? :)

Well noted and thx Jokiin, unfortunately SGZC12RC remote cam is my preference but no GPS...
not sure about other brands with the 12v and 5v option...

Hi Niko,
Just to see if you have a chance to try the SGZC12RC V2?

There are many questions / answers all around the forum regarding using Street Guardian SGZC12RC with external battery banks.
In this thread I have combined my tests to show different scenarios when using 5V external battery banks and 12 V power supply.

P.S. - all tests you see below were done over year ago.

Just finding this thread (September 7)
Thank you Niko for an informative presentation.

A question please

If one starts 5v motion detect recording with the capacitors are fully charged, how long will the capacitors hold their charge if 5v power remains uninterrupted?

perhaps this wording is better

How long will the capacitors hold their charge and be able to save a file when recording in 5v motion detect mode?

Best regards

Edward

You can see from 1st post 2nd video ( Part 2 ), - unit switches off immediately after 5V power "interrupted" and capacitors have enough charge to saves last file.

You can see from 1st post 2nd video ( Part 2 ), - unit switches off immediately after 5V power "interrupted" and capacitors have enough charge to saves last file.
Thank you Niko
Yes, I have watched all the videos

Here are 2 scenarios

If the camera is operated in 5v in parking mode for 8 hours, and I then turn it off, will the capacitors have enough charge to save the file?

If the camera is operated in 5v parking mode and after some hours the 5 v battery source becomes depleted, will the capacitors have enough charge to save the file?

Thanks
Edward

the caps are only charged via 12v and are only depleted when saving a file, if you start on 12v and switch to 5v as some users do then it will save the file on shutdown no problem as they get charged up on 12v before any recording commences

the caps are only charged via 12v and are only depleted when saving a file, if you start on 12v and switch to 5v as some users do then it will save the file on shutdown no problem as they get charged up on 12v before any recording commences
Thank you Joklin, and thank you Niko

From the information the two of you have provided regarding the capacitors' function when saving and shutting down:

Can it then be said that by first charging the caps in 12v mode & then switching to a 5v aux battery and parking mode
  • when I shut down the 5v power 8 hours (or more) later, the capacitors will have retained enough of a charge to save files upon shutdown?
  • should the 5V battery run too low on charge to support camera functions the capacitors will view that trickle down as a shut down and save files?
Best
Edward

Thank you Joklin, and thank you Niko

From the information the two of you have provided regarding the capacitors' function when saving and shutting down:

Can it then be said that by first charging the caps in 12v mode & then switching to a 5v aux battery and parking mode
  • when I shut down the 5v power 8 hours (or more) later, the capacitors will have retained enough of a charge to save files upon shutdown?
  • should the 5V battery run too low on charge to support camera functions the capacitors will view that trickle down as a shut down and save files?
Best
Edward

Dashcam does not use supercaps power for normal recording. Power in supercaps is used only when device is turned off or disconnected from 12V or 5V power supply. I have tested how many times can supercaps retain enough power to close / save last file while powering via 5 Volt before it will deplete and in most cases it was 2 times, in few cases 3 times, but just to be on the safe side I would say after 2 power off when using 5Volt port you need to power unit via 12V to recharge supercaps.

Hello Niko
I appreciate your monitoring the forum & providing prompt informative reply.
However in this (rare) instance your reply does not directly answer the questions.

Neither question has anything to do with how many shutdowns the capacitors can handle before needing to be recharged.
The first asks how long the capacitors will hold charge while waiting for shutdown; and the other asks if an aux 5V battery going dead (flat) will be dealt with as a shutdown by the capacitors & files will be saved.

Here they are again for your review

8 hours is no issue, 8 days maybe not

shutdown is a shutdown, if the caps were charged before you switched to 5v (ie you powered up from 12v before switching to 5v, recording does not commence until caps have sufficient charge for a shutdown) then the caps will still perform their function and save the file when the 5V supply gets low enough for the camera to power off

shutdown is a shutdown, if the caps were charged before you switched to 5v (ie you powered up from 12v before switching to 5v, recording does not commence until caps have sufficient charge for a shutdown) then the caps will still perform their function and save the file when the 5V supply gets low enough for the camera to power off

Thank you, Joklin.
That's information valuable for planning an upgrade.
Your research on the 5V powering of the SGZC12RC is most thorough.
And very much appreciated
Best
Edward

Here's a follow up question, If I may, Joklin

If the camera is started on 12v, operating in constant record mode, what happens when switching to 5V?
Will the camera stay in constant record mode, switch to motion detect mode or...........?

Here's a follow up question, If I may, Joklin

If the camera is started on 12v, operating in constant record mode, what happens when switching to 5V?
Will the camera stay in constant record mode, switch to motion detect mode or...........?

All settings stay the same no matter if your go from 12 to 5V or vise versa. There is no so called "auto-detect" function on this unit.

I've always operated my SGZC12RC in motion-detect mode when driving & when parked, since I bought it in June 2015. It's the only way to get the most from the camera's capabilities.

On Saturday I did a check for my own interest. At 6pm I parked the car & unplugged the 12v supply. At the same time I plugged in a 5v power bank & left the RC to record overnight. Which was a waste of time for much of the night, due to condensation on the windscreen ...

87fc031b1480202e5aafb226b2a99ec1.jpg

15 hours later I unplugged the power bank. I'm pleased to report that the file being recorded when I unplugged the power bank was saved.

Thanks for being curious, and taking the time to experiment.

Back