ThinkWare H50 Review

Zenit

Reaction score
Country
United States
Dash Cam
Mini 0805
I bought a 2nd dash cam a few months ago for our second car. I went with the H50 because it is available locally at Best Buy and it is made in Korea. It costs $55 and is capacitor powered.

Specs
2.0MP CMOS Sensor
30fps Footage
720p Resolution
Capacitor power/no battery
8gb SD card included/supports up to 32gb
Thermal Protection/Shut off
Includes a car charger with a very long cord

Unboxing
wvhXCWf.jpg

Y72C67c.jpg

bQE7W5m.jpg

b7ELltp.jpg

The camera itself is well built. The mount adhesive is clear along with the mount, so it is less obtrusive. Lots of extra cord is included with the power adapter, it was more than enough for installing it in a Lexus RX330.

Test Footage

The video quality is decent. It isn't as good as my Mini 0805, but its OK. The real pro of this dashcam is the use of a capacitor instead of a lithium battery + the ease of purchase locally.

It's collision sensor is very sensitive, it picks up little bumps as a crash when set to medium. You definitely want to set it to low.

The H50 has worked well for over 2 months now in the summer heat, so reliability seems to be good.

Nice small design, but video resolution only 720p ?

The video quality is decent. It isn't as good as my Mini 0805, but its OK.

Low cost though so the 720p is what you would expect, lower res is better at handling heat as well

We were told the H50 doesn't have a capacitor inside it. In the event of a large impact and power is lost the power 'in the' power lead will power the camera long enough to finish the video and being 'format free' even if the file ended unexpectedly it would still play. They are still a decent dashcam for daytime use, they aren't great at night though.

The F50 is the upgraded model for the H50.....

We were told the H50 doesn't have a capacitor inside it. In the event of a large impact and power is lost the power 'in the' power lead will power the camera long enough to finish the video and being 'format free' even if the file ended unexpectedly it would still play. They are still a decent dashcam for daytime use, they aren't great at night though.

The F50 is the upgraded model for the H50.....
So called "format free" has been used by many Korean dashcams for few years. I asked many manufacturers, but non of them explain how exactly this "format free" works, why need format free, pros and cons etc.
Do you have more detailed explanation to this, not just "card doesnt need to be formatted" ?

Last edited:
I don't understand too much myself! Especially for the H50 as it was 'format free' but had a format button!

What i was told about the New F50 is that most dashcams put the video files on the memory card in any random order or even part of a file here and part of a file there. The F50 has been developed to put every file in order on the memory card without fail so it won't ever need formatting as they are all tidy. As for advantages i think it's purely the reduced risk of corrupt files.

Back