Using a USB adaptor with SG products

Daffypuck

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was wondering if there is a USB alternative to the typical 12v/cigarette lighter for a power source. My employer has started using vehicles that do not have cigarette lighter ports and I have no way to plug in my dashcam. Are there cigarette lighter to USB adapters?

You can always power it off a huge USB power bank if its a 5 V camera, but if you are not home every day to charge the thing back up then that's no viable solution.

If there is a fuse box in the cabin you could use some sort of way to piggyback on a fuse or unused fuse port there, but that would mean you have some wire to tuck away every day.
Also there might be unused ports for stuff on the dashboard you might be able to tab into, but again that do mean you have to pry off whatever is covering that port.

And you would need some DIY / electrical skills so you don't short things or set fire to your employers truck.

Your employers really should make it so his drivers that actually care and run a dashcam could do so, with their camera they don't just cover their own ass, they also cover his ass.

Are there cigarette lighter to USB adapters?
Yes, but you really do get what you pay for. Stick with a known name brand like Anker or Belkin for example.

Surprising that truck manufacturers would stop including something so basic as a 12v accessory outlet... Don't most drivers have GPS units and cell phone chargers that need to plug into the vehicle? And dashcams aren't THAT foreign in the trucker world - I see them for sale right next to all the GPS, Bluetooth and CB radios at every truck stop.

At least big USB power banks have gotten cheap recently - https://www.amazon.com/gp/B00X5RV14Y

I was wondering if there is a USB alternative to the typical 12v/cigarette lighter for a power source. My employer has started using vehicles that do not have cigarette lighter ports and I have no way to plug in my dashcam. Are there cigarette lighter to USB adapters?
Are you saying that the vehicle does not have a 12v/cigarette socket, but does have a USB port? Which SG model are we talking about here? Different models have different power requirements.

Yes, no 12v cigarette socekets. Only a USB on the radio and a USB on the ELOG computer. So I need a USB plug that has a 12v cigarette socket on the other end, otherwise, Im gonna have to rig something up through the fuse box.

Yes, no 12v cigarette socekets. Only a USB on the radio and a USB on the ELOG computer. So I need a USB plug that has a 12v cigarette socket on the other end, otherwise, Im gonna have to rig something up through the fuse box.

Usually USB ports are 5 Volt output.

What model SG you are interested in ?

So I need a USB plug that has a 12v cigarette socket on the other end, otherwise, Im gonna have to rig something up through the fuse box.

no wonder I couldn't work out what you were asking for, the USB is only 5v output, you won't get 12v out of those

Im using the SGZC12SG model for my work vehicle. From what yall are saying, It looks like Im going to have to rig up some kind of quick connect 12v socket to the fusebox. I guess I can get with the mechanics and find an open power source in the incab fusebox.

it will actually run from USB proving the output is adequate and it's not a data capable port, it won't auto start and the capacitors don't get recharged via USB so something to be aware of

Back