Mobuis Mini

I don't want to disappoint you guys, but I wouldn't recommend using the MM as a dashcam, at least not at this point and unless the developer gives his OK.
The MM gets very hot very quickly. I honestly can't imagine driving with it recording for hours on end - unless it gets a full blast of AC all the time it's running.

BTW, the User Guide and Windows setup program (mSetup) can be found here. The program works for the entire Mobius family (Mobius, M2, MM) including the #16 keychain which was also developed by the Mobius team.

BTW, the User Guide and Windows setup program (mSetup) can be found here. The program works for the entire Mobius family (Mobius, M2, MM) including the #16 keychain which was also developed by the Mobius team.

Any changes/improvement to FW 2.41?

I don't want to disappoint you guys, but I wouldn't recommend using the MM as a dashcam, at least not at this point and unless the developer gives his OK.
The MM gets very hot very quickly. I honestly can't imagine driving with it recording for hours on end - unless it gets a full blast of AC all the time it's running.

Hotter than M1?only at superfine framerate (44mbps) or also lower?
Even with the added copper sink mount? Then we'll need a full metal suction cup mount....

I have talked it over with the developer, and we both agree that dashcam use is not recommended with the MM

The M2 also get pretty darn hot not least if you run it at the highest bitrates, but running it H265 at low seem to be a cool solution for dashcam use.
Besides i feel the huge file sizes generated when you use the high bitrates is pretty stupid i feel, at least for dashcam use. +1 Gb files ( 3 minutes ) that's pretty insane and will eat thru any SD card in no time.

I don't have my sticky hands on a MM but i am sure it can generate huge files when its really cranked up, and as i understand it your camera really need to be cranked up like that for fast paced action.
Thinking about it for a while before these new mobius cameras and i think the 18 - 20 mbits we see on many cameras might be a little too low, i think the sweet spot would be 25 - 30 mbit for regular automotive use.
For your track day car you might want more bitrate power, depending on your analness and what you want to do with your raw footage.

As it is no matter what you have, if your main share channel is youtube well than it don't matter much what you have for raw material to begin with.
Still i would love to get my hands on a MM, but for some of the other things i do beside dashcams.

I am not too happy about the small lenses used on the MM, but i have to admit on my C1 the lens appeared to be okay, so i think its just my ignorance that's acting up.

I would love a dashcam in this MM size or better yet a camera like the Innovv C3 as that setup should make for a even smaller footprint on / near the window, and then the size of the main box don't really matter much.

Last edited:
Tried the C3 , lasted a year & although the concept was great as a remote dash cam the hardware/firmware failed. Mobius original has been very reliable.

Tried the C3 , lasted a year & although the concept was great as a remote dash cam the hardware/firmware failed. Mobius original has been very reliable.

Exactly....while I keep checking specs, in the end firmware updates & support should be much more taken into account.
Fullly satisfied with the (unachieved by the rest) mobius environment, I think the most tinkered & supported camera you can get.
I already ordered the mini in a hearbeat without any independent review....will see.

Hotter than M1?only at superfine framerate (44mbps) or also lower?
Even with the added copper sink mount? Then we'll need a full metal suction cup mount....
In comparison, the M1 only becomes warm. You can always hold it in your hands. Not so the MM.
I've only tested the 'Fine' video quality.
I don't have the release version with the copper heatsink, so that may run a little cooler.

Does the Mobius Mini have the same File Protection (write protect) while recording feature as described in the Instruction Manual for the Mobius ActionCam? It is not specified in the User Guide for the Mobius Mini ActionCam. Anybody know?

Does the Mobius Mini have the same File Protection (write protect) while recording feature as described in the Instruction Manual for the Mobius ActionCam? It is not specified in the User Guide for the Mobius Mini ActionCam. Anybody know?
A 'Locked' folder is created on the card, but I haven't found out how you can create a locked file. I've mentioned this to the developer as it could be a bug OR the "Locked" folder shouldn't be created.
Since this is an entirely new camera I think we can expect a few teething problems.

I have talked it over with the developer, and we both agree that dashcam use is not recommended with the MM

In comparison, the M1 only becomes warm. You can always hold it in your hands. Not so the MM.
I've only tested the 'Fine' video quality.
I don't have the release version with the copper heatsink, so that may run a little cooler.

Well, we need a suction cup/tripod screw supporting mount fully made by copper/aluminum in order to act like a big HEAT SINK and..presto, you have a cooling solution at hand.

(...) the MM.
If the old Mobius is now called M1 and the new Mobius is called M2, why don't we call this one the Mini M? MM sounds weird. o_O

well on the new M2 the mounting do act like a heat sink, and it do get warm.
But i an sure what even heat is generated will be more than can travel up the mounting screw and away from the camera itself.

I am just forgetting the mobius mini when it comes to dashcam use, and i am sure there will soon be more options in the "ultra small footprint on window" segment of dashcams.

It is a more and more popular segment i think so some one will want to muscle in on the sales of mobius - SGZC12RC - and the other cameras that's really small.

And i think the solution with the remote camera is the best, and i am sure the design of the remote cameras can be changed so they will appear smaller.
For instance the12RC camera, i am sure with a redesigned PCB and housing it can be made to appear even smaller from the outside.

well on the new M2 the mounting do act like a heat sink, and it do get warm.
But i an sure what even heat is generated will be more than can travel up the mounting screw and away from the camera itself.

I am just forgetting the mobius mini when it comes to dashcam use, and i am sure there will soon be more options in the "ultra small footprint on window" segment of dashcams.

well, if there is metal-to-metal contact and maybe thermal paste too...I don't see how heat transfer would not apply.

I also think dashcam is not meant for Mobius Mini, but I like flexibility.
I did with a M1, while travelling using as a dashcam on the rental car then attaching to a skypole while skying as an action cam... (should I also carry a quadcopter i could do triple use with the Mini...!!)

Sure heat will propagate thru metal just fine, the question is how fast it will do so.
Take the M2, it do have a heat sink on the inside of the case, but how good it contact with the chip generating the heat i don't know.
And then moving on the heat captured by that heat sink have to go thru the plastic housing minus the 4 screws/threads that hold the screw mount in place to the camera.
And plastic don't transport heat that well.
So the heat captured by a 1.5 x 1.5 cm heat sink have to go thru that first then to a degree a plastic "wall" and then find its way up a small " 6 mm " screw and on to the rest of the mounting solution.

Sure as i said before heat can and will do that, but i doubt to the same degree as its generated by the chip, so there must be a build up of heat in the camera.

I have often used small heat sinks in my computer projects, not least in the old days where there wasent full cover water cooling solutions for GFX cards.
So i used small aluminum or cobber heat sinks, but they always had a larger offloading side ( fins ) than the heat capture side on the flat bottom of the little heat sink

And really that's what you want, capture heat on say 1 SqCM surface, transport that thru the material of the heat sink and then to a much larger surface area as you will be offloading that captures heat to the air that's a lot less of a heat conductor.
So you need more surface to offload the heat than you do capturing the heat on the chip, so that's why heat sinks have fins and such on it, you can then improve the heat transfer by putting a fan on the heat sink to blow cold air onto the fins of the heat sink and that way strip the heat of the heat sink at a much higher rate.

But as long as we talk about passive cooling, then you need a much larger surface to offload that captured heat.

Some years ago some Danish firm build the "ultimate" CPU heat sink, they just forgot that the heat captured by the liquid metal inside have to be offloaded somewhere, and the regular fins and fans was only able to transfer so much heat to the air, so even if the liquid metal was a supreme conductor of heat, that dident really matter when the heat only had a "little hole" to trickle out of.

So in the end that heat sink was not better than regular pretty much similar heat pipe heat sinks made with much cheaper materials and dident need a pump like there was on the one using liquid metal to be circulated inside the heat pipes.

well said, I see some things promoted as being heat sinks that appear to be more heat trap if anything, sure they get hot but things can get hot from collecting heat without dissipating heat

Sure heat will propagate thru metal just fine, the question is how fast it will do so.
Take the M2, it do have a heat sink on the inside of the case, but how good it contact with the chip generating the heat i don't know.
And then moving on the heat captured by that heat sink have to go thru the plastic housing minus the 4 screws/threads that hold the screw mount in place to the camera.
And plastic don't transport heat that well.
So the heat captured by a 1.5 x 1.5 cm heat sink have to go thru that first then to a degree a plastic "wall" and then find its way up a small " 6 mm " screw and on to the rest of the mounting solution.

Ouch! I don't know why but I thought I remember to have seen a metal surface between the 4 screws, therefore I guessed the copper tripod round disc-to tripod screw would have that surface against the internal heat sink, not only trhough the 4 tiny screws (thus a bigger exchange surface....my bad memory...

Drill a few extra holes in the housing, buy a cheap 1 bucs mini fan ad cool that thingie down, only takes 0.2 watts..... I did it with my Foxeer Legend 2 that's getting quite hot too... but with the fan it stays nicely cool. Don't record sound though cause it sounds like you're in a jet fighter....

img_20160829_101034-jpg.25681

img_20160829_101044-jpg.25682

img_20160829_103533-jpg.25683

img_20160829_103545-jpg.25684

Updates

Last edited:
anyone know of some night traffic recordings of the mini??

Back