Hardwiring a Cigarette adapter & timed shutoff

Justin Bailey

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello forum members!

I just bought two dashcams for my car and the wife's. The cameras come with a cigarette lighter adapter for power but we'd definitely like to hardwire it into the car's electrical system instead. So I was wondering if I cut the cig adapter off and strip the wire, will that reveal positive and negative wiring? And is there a preferred area to tie those cables into? We have a Kia Soul and Nissan Quest.

Also, is there a device that will keep power running to the camera for up to 10 minutes after the power's been shut off?

Appreciate it if you can point us in the right direction. Thanks!

What dash cams do you have?

In looking at the product images I'm guessing that the power adapter has a 12V to 5V converter built in (this based on the fact that the camera end is a USB connector which as far as I know is always 5V). If you were to do what you proposed you would then be putting 12V into a 5V device with serious negative consequences, like frying the camera.

If you were to do what you proposed you would then be putting 12V into a 5V device with serious negative consequences, like frying the camera.

I understand that and yes, the cameras do have a mini USB connectors so they probably take 5V. Is there a converter I can purchase?

Last edited:
Edit: An alternative would be something like this to tap into an existing circuit and use your current adapter and just tuck everything up behind your dash somewhere.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/131333723351

That's a good recommendation but do you know where I could find an existing circuit? Also, is there a way to power the camera for 5 minutes after the car's been shut off?

That's a good recommendation but do you know where I could find an existing circuit?...

If I were to go that route I'd just splice it into the power lines to the existing accessory socket.

...Also, is there a way to power the camera for 5 minutes after the car's been shut off?

To do that you would have to tie into an 'always hot' circuit and use something with a timer built into it to shut down power. Something like -

https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/a...elligent-battery-power-management-device.html

Just curious - why do you want to record for 5 minutes?

Just curious - why do you want to record for 5 minutes?

I want to record the voice of the the police man who's pulling me over when they come to my window. In one incident, on a 5-lane street, they said my "front left wheel crossed the yellow line." On the police report, the other cop wrote that I was driving completely on the wrong side of the road. Police always do something stupid like this, but that time it was a felony on behalf of the second one.

If I were to go that route I'd just splice it into the power lines to the existing accessory socket.

To do that you would have to tie into an 'always hot' circuit and use something with a timer built into it to shut down power. Something like -

https://shop.pier28.com/index.php/a...elligent-battery-power-management-device.html

/QUOTE]

Is there something more entry-level than that? I was thinking a capacitor that can hold an appropriate charge for the camera but if there's something at a lower price point I would prefer that. I don't need anything that high end (ie, they describe it as the "mercedes-benz").

I want to record the voice of the the police man who's pulling me over when they come to my window.

While this is legal in the US (Glik v Cunnife) you might not be legal recording audio in your car otherwise. The legal domain regarding this is given to each State who can allow counties and cities to enact their own laws regarding audio recording so you need to check locally to know where you stand. If you record audio illegally on your cam that could render the entire recording including the video inadmissible as evidence, as can altering the recording to delete the audio after it has been captured. Audio recording is a real legal minefield in the US :( Best is to capture audio on a separate device to keep the video unassailable in Court. Digital pocket recorders are cheap these days ;)

Phil

Is there something more entry-level than that? I was thinking a capacitor that can hold an appropriate charge for the camera but if there's something at a lower price point I would prefer that. I don't need anything that high end (ie, they describe it as the "mercedes-benz").
I'm sure there is but since I don't use them myself I'll defer to someone else to make specific recommendations.

Back