g1wh with 18650 24h

chenrp

Reaction score
Country
Israel
hi everyone.
so i got about 40 18650 batteries. and i want to put at least 1 battery instead of the original battery into my g1wh camera.
i am afraid of the heat so i want to put the battery in the glove compartment.

any suggestions for this diy project?
should i add a special bag to protect the 18650 battery+charger?

LiIon cells may not have enough voltage to run a dashcam- a few better ones will reach 4.35V fully charged, most top out around 4.2V, and there's a significant rate of voltage drop during use with all of them. A pair wired in series run through a "buck driver" (like powerbanks do) would work but running LiIon in series has it's own issues which can be downright dangerous unless dealt with properly. Running several cells in parallel would slow the voltage drop and might give a decent runtime. I'd feel a lot better if you used a large LiPo battery- they are much safer and with a more steady voltage in use. However this might work and I'm interested in your results if you try it.

As far as heat in a closed car and LiIon, I wouldn't worry about any danger. I recently suffered a car fire and had a LiIon flashlight inside which I couldn't retrieve. It took several (around six) minutes of estimated 800F-1200F degrees before I saw the light explode. Another flashlight enthusiast tested this scenario with a gas torch and came to a similar conclusion. Heat as high as cars see inside will degrade a LiIon cell though, shortening it's useful life appreciably and fully charged LiIon cells stored or used in such heat need careful monitoring during charging where most problems will show up. I wouldn't charge LiIon in-car because if anything goes seriously wrong you've got a potentially lethal Hydrogen Flouride gas poisoning probem at best and a "venting with flames" or cell explosion scenario taking the car with it at worst.

Never use cheap low quality LiIon cells or chargers and know the dangers- these are NOT like any other batteries at all.

Phil

what about rinning the dashcam via 1x18650 power bank?

Power steering fluid leaked onto the exhaust manifold and I didn't have a big enough extinguisher to handle it reigniting 5 times. Old car I used mainly to save wear on the workvan during weekends, not a big loss. Losing the flashlight and my G1Wc cam hurt worse than losing the car :p

Phil

what about rinning the dashcam via 1x18650 power bank?

Powerbanks yes- these are designed safely and should be fine for this. Again avoid the cheapest ones if they use LiIon which most do.

Phil

Always hard to loose your flashlight, many ppl dont know this but a proper flashlight is a sure sign of manhood.

The light was a Convoy C8, XM-L2 neutral white @ 900+ lumens. It was silver, not black, and about $20. No biggie, I've got plenty more lights. The cell was an expensive Efest though and that loss hurt. My current 'toy' is a MaxToch "Shooter" M24 special: dedomed XM-L2, 2S Samsung 30Q 18650's, 75 minutes runtime on Hi this 360K Lux thrower that brightly lights up small reflective road signs over a measured mile away :D I also have their "Sniper" version with an XP-L hi at about 320K Lux and about 50 minytes runtime on Hi- almost as good:p I'd have cried if it had been one of those.

I'm Phil and I'm a Flashaholic :cool:

Back