minicam 0807 - recommended memory card brands

Phildo

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Dash Cam
just bought a new 0807 for my son and was wondering if SanDisk (genuine of course not crap copies from eBay) memory cards are ok ? If they are, what model or type or size do people recommend please ?

Last edited:
Sandisk cards are not always a great choice for a dashcam, most notably the red and grey model, if they encounter an error they will go into read only mode and that's the end of the card, the Sandisk High Endurance cards are ok though

Thanks I'll have a look at both of them and maybe a 64g card

How does someone format a 128gb card to Fat32. The instructions say to use a computer for this.
To the best of my knowledge Windows cant recognise over 32gb with FAT32, and uses exFAT instead.
(so the instructions seem a bit contradictory)

need to use a 3rd party program, fat32formatter will work up to Win7, if later than that you'll generally need a different program

thanks, didnt know that. I dont have windows anyway, but i thought that was easier way of asking the question.
I bought 2 x Kingston 127gb class 10. yes i know what the guide said, but class 6 cards are scarce, and according to Kingston they are already formated Fat32, but they were definitely exFat, and wouldnt mount on my computer, but seemed fine on camera and my android.

for my ref and anyone use; to format in linux (ubuntu), this is how to get Fat32.
Code:
sudo mkdosfs /dev/DISKANDPARTITION -s 16 -F 32

Now when insert into camera, it sometimes pops up
"card non-optimum format?"
choose YES or NO

i choose no, or it just goes away., seems to be happy to continue recording though.

done, thanks. taht did the trick

that is >
sudo mkdosfs /dev/DISKANDPARTITION -s 64 -F 32
ie 64 x 512 = 32kb allocation/cluster size

I bought a SanDisk Ultra 128 GB speed class 10 two months ago, but now my DC stops recording time to time. I went away and bought a cheap 8 GB card today with speed class 4 and it seems to work fine with it. It is written in the manual that speed class 10-cards is not recommended.. Can someone recommend a SD-card at 128 GB that is garanteed to work? thanks.

@David Floden
Have you read the articles above and also formatted?

I have formatted it from within the menue of the camera only. Will try formatting it from my PC tomorrow

Try the instructions from above, then should work ...

I have formatted the card to fat32 from PC, but it did not change the behaviour. The DC records for 1 minute and then gives a notification sound and the screen displays grey dots in a circle for a minute and the recording starts again. This goes on continously. It doesn't matter if the filesystem is fat32 or exfat. If I change settings and lower the resolution to 720p, it can record for a longer period, but the problem is still present. I tried the same settings with my slower 8 GB card, and everything works great. The 8GB card has speed class 4.

According to the manual, speed class 10 can be too fast and the DC can have problem with it. The sandisk at 128GB is at speed class 10 with read/write speed at 80/10. Maybe a slower card with read/write 45/10 preform better. I will probobly buy this one some day https://www.kingston.com/en/flash/microsd_cards/sdc10g2 and try.

Your Sandisk is not a fast card.
I use fast transcend cards with read 95mb/s, write 85mb/s - but in 32GB/64GB and the work perfectly.

You have certainly "quick formatting" made over Win, right?
It seems to me that the DC is very selectable with 128GB cards.
And if this gray circle comes, then the camera can not store the data fast enough.

I would try it with the "SD-Formatter" in another cluster size in FAT32 (exFAT if it does not work with FAT32).
But definitely format it completely, do not "quick format"!

It took almost two hours, so i guess it was not "quick". I will try your link, thank you for your help. The fact i tried the same configurations on both cards make me think that the sandisk is failing. Fun fact that I bought it on holiday in Schöneweide at Mediamarkt, sadly a bit far away to return it. But ofcourse, it is not proven that the SD-card is damaged.

I will try different clustersizes aswell to maybe discover a pattern of the missing recordings. It stops at regular intervals and trying to store data on the card, as you mentioned. Maybe try to create a smaller partition on the card instead of allocating the entire space. I don't yet know what causes this problem

No if it took so long, then it was not a "Quick Format".
In "Quick Format" only the partition table is rewritten, the rest as all existing data are released only for overwriting.

You bought the card in Schöneweide? Here in Berlin there is also a nice pasture, but I do not know if there is also "Mediamarkt" :)

Partitioning the card is a very good idea, I'm curious if it works.

I tried to reset the DC and it solved all problems. There were nothing wrong with the memorycards, the DC could not handle all changes I made in the settings. I have learnt much about mamory cards now, maybe something good came out of this.

Back