Question for Pier28.com about sales tax for out-of-state orders

ac2784

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does Pier28.com charge sales tax for orders to be shipped to New York? If yes, why?

Pier28.com web site indicates that it is located in Nevada. From my understanding about out-of-state tax laws, if a business is located in a state other than New York, then it has no sales tax nexus with New York. That means it is not required to collect sales tax from customers that want taxable items shipped to a New York address:
http://blog.taxjar.com/online-sales-tax-new-york/

Thanks for any clarification.

at the moment they are shipping from California (relocating to Nevada shortly), as they ship from CA sales within the state incur local taxes, New York wouldn't pay the state sales tax

Hi thanks for asking, we actually use taxjar too.

Let me ask my business partner for clarification.

Jokiin is right though, we'll be able to remove California sales taxes as soon as the current CA shipping operations is moved to Nevada.
Stand by, ~Jon

Some states like New York will still require sales taxes though due to:
http://blog.taxjar.com/sales-tax-nexus-definition/
"What Happens if I have Sales Tax Nexus?
If you have sales tax nexus in a state, then you must collect sales tax from buyers in that state."

EDIT: We no longer need to change NY sales tax.

Last edited:
Thanks very much for the info. Right now, the check out page still shows a New York tax of 8.875%. Please let me know how to remove/bypass that item, so I can complete my order. Thank you.

Thanks very much for the info. Right now, the check out page still shows a New York tax of 8.875%. Please let me know how to remove/bypass that item, so I can complete my order. Thank you.

Good News, the only state we are required to charge sales tax now is Nevada.
(Office Move complete)

Last edited:
Here is a tip for all of you to avoid sales tax. Buy it through Amazon.CA Canada. No sales tax whatsoever are ever charged to us Canadians if we buy through American Sellers located in the USA. But buy through Amazon.CA

The new Street Guardian listings on Amazon.CA should be live in the next week. (Fulfilled By Merchant, and then Prime soon after that)

It took longer than anticipated before several special shipping accounts were ready and I've been in Hong Kong for nearly two weeks.

The goal is to have Amazon.CA prime listings ready to go ASAP now that I'm be back in Nevada shortly.
(Hello from 35,000 ft via United)

Back