Okay here is the demo, i have put a IR pass lens on a X camera from Joovuu, for your viewing pleasure and my own curiosity i will try the same setup out in my car tomorrow evening, so stay tuned here for updates.

A real CCTV camera like the IP camera i have on my car when its parked also go into B&W mode whan it change to IR light in the evening, here is a demo of the cameras patrol function at night.
The yard is more or less pitch black at night so only light is off the IP camera on my balcony door.

A real CCTV camera like the IP camera i have on my car when its parked also go into B&W mode whan it change to IR light in the evening, here is a demo of the cameras patrol function at night.
The yard is more or less pitch black at night so only light is off the IP camera on my balcony door.
Black-and-white is fine you can really see detail all I really need to see is like 6 feet behind my dash so I can see the passengers in the backseat in my front seat! So if I could do this even in black-and-white that would be great!

Yeah thats nice, problem is none of the dashcams i know off go into B&W mode so a modified camera will have that red/magenta hue to the footage due to that.

You should be able to find a IR illuminator on ebay or amazon for a few bucks, just make sure it have a wide beam angle as most is defaulted to around 45 degrees as in CCTV you mostly want to focus and see something a bit away from the camera.
You should be able to find something thats about 2 inches or so in size.

The Trancend camera i linked to also seem to be alright, but it need to be paired with a proper IR illuminator as the 4 build in LEDs dont do much in regard to lighting up a car, and it do look as if it do go into B&W mode.

All illuminators in the small size you would want is 12 Volts and is usioally fitted with a 5.5 mm barrel style plug

Okay so i have the daytime demo ready, and guys no need for standing ovations :D

Colors is off course off as this is a IR pass lens, and this it taken at 14:30 in the afternoon on a cloudy day, so already dark inside of my car.

Be advised this cut is the true freedom of speech adult Danish version, so no beeping here :)

Not many Uber drivers here in Denmark as the regular taxis have the marked cornered so all Uber driving here is pirate taxi and illegal.

So here is the Night time footage with IR illuminator in my car, as you can see there is plenty of light but my illuminator just dont spread it enough inside the cabin.
So you will want a 5 - 7 watt IR illuminator with a wide beam angle, i would say 90 degrees or more should suffice for this job.
Colors are also fishy here , i am wearing a dark brown Jacket ( same as video above ) and a black and blue striped shirt ( same as above )
Bit other than that you do get a good face capture of me, and if the spread of light was better then also of anyone else that might be in the car.

I was going to run a test with just the bare IR emitter on its heat-sink without the glass in front of it, but then for some strange reason the fuse in the cigarette plug adapter blew on me :(

Anyway you can make a okay DIY kit but with blow out colors, but face captures should be good enough for a court case i would say.
Or you could buy a dashcam like the above mentioned Trancend and then add the IR illuminator to make sure you have enought light inside the car.

Hope this is something the would be Uber drivers of the world can use in their quest for personal securety and payback id they get some creep inside their car.

I forgot to add, you might also be able to use one of the small home security cameras for the inside of the cabin in your car, most of them are quite small and some even have real CCTV night time abillities with build in IR light too.

I dont think they are worthwhile as a dashcam though i think most also have room for a micro SD card, but for the static inside of a Uber car or taxi they might offer good value and footage for the money.

Arlo - drop cam and what ever they are all called, there seem to be a lot of those little cameras out there now.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M N2 3
J N2 5
I N2 6
Back