New User - How To WiFi?

rayj00

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok just got my SJ4000 WiFi. How do I turn on the WiFi? My local Wifi network WPA2 PW has a special character in it and is 9 characters long? I do not see special characters available on the SJ4000?

The camera is not intended to connect to a local WiFi network. It connects to an Android or iOS mobile device that has the SJCam app installed.

The camera is not intended to connect to a local WiFi network. It connects to an Android or iOS mobile device that has the SJCam app installed.

Ok, that's a bummer. I guess I totally misunderstood about it being WiFi enabled. And using the SJ4000 as a webcam is also misleading since the only way to use it with WiFi is with the WiFi app!!!

Anyway, I installed the SJCAM app on one of my Android tablets. It will not connect to the SJ4000? When I choose to connect in the app appears to be trying then says cannot connect. Is the connection supposed to be over WiFi? How do you turn on WiFi on the camera?

Also, how do I get the video file off the camera? Does every thing have to go through the app? If so, this is another bummer! I should be able to plug the camera in over USB and have direct access to the files using windows explorer?

I think I blew it purchasing this thing.....

Ok, that's a bummer. I guess I totally misunderstood about it being WiFi enabled. And using the SJ4000 as a webcam is also misleading since the only way to use it with WiFi is with the WiFi app!!!

Anyway, I installed the SJCAM app on one of my Android tablets. It will not connect to the SJ4000? When I choose to connect in the app appears to be trying then says cannot connect. Is the connection supposed to be over WiFi? How do you turn on WiFi on the camera?

Also, how do I get the video file off the camera? Does every thing have to go through the app? If so, this is another bummer! I should be able to plug the camera in over USB and have direct access to the files using windows explorer?

I think I blew it purchasing this thing.....
I'm not entirely sure with the latest SJ4000 models but I believe there's a button on the side of the camera for WiFi - press it to turn the WiFi on. On my Android smartphone I have to choose the camera WiFi connection specifically otherwise it connects to my home network instead. Once the camera's WiFi is on, your tablet's WiFi is on and the camera connection selected, you should be able to open the app and touch "Connect your camera" on the app start screen. After a moment the two should be connected and the app good to go.

You can transfer files from the camera a couple of ways. Again I'm not sure about the latest model but on my SJ4000 vids and pics shot while operating the camera via WiFi are not saved directly to your mobile device. To transfer files to your mobile device via WiFi you can use the app. You can also transfer them by going from camera to computer to mobile device via cable. You can transfer files to your computer (I've only done so using a Windows 7 computer) by connecting it to the camera using a USB cable. You can also remove the memory card from the camera and use a card reader. The SJ4000 manual on Pevly goes into these methods in some detail.

Regarding use as a webcam, it works via the USB connection, not WiFi. When you connect the camera to your computer via USB it turns on automatically and gives you the choice of "Mass Storage" (for transferring files as described above) or "PC Camera". Choose PC Camera. On my SJ4000 the memory card needs to be removed to use the camera as a webcam.

I hope that helps. Cheers! :)

PS: Perhaps I should have started by asking if you've verified that you have a genuine SJCam by using the verification on the SJCam website.

Last edited:
I tried to verify my camera on the SJCamhd.com website but it was down yesterday. I'll try again when I get home.

So I visited the pevly site and found this at http://pevly.com/xiaomi-yi-vs-sjcam-sj4000/5/

SJ4000 Can be used as:
Web camera (can be used for talking via Skype for instance)

So, can anyone confirm that the SJ4000 WiFi can be used for Skype? Or better yet, for WebRTC?

So I got the app to talk to the camera finally. I was playing around with the WiFi SSID and PW to see if I could get the camera on my local WiFi network. I could enter a PW with a special character using the app, but on the camera it shows as a little box with an X through the middle of it? For example if I input a pw like this: 2A7b*Vl4 in the app, it shows in the camera as 2A7b⌧Vl4
I believe the SJ4000 (as well as all the other models) should accept special characters for a pw.

Note my local WiFi password is WPA2 with special characters in it.

Back