(Tutorial) Installing CPL filter & homemade heatsink.

camera800

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Dash Cam
Installing CPL filter

With this method vignetting does not appear. This lens or similar are ideal for this camera. (LIEQI LQ-005B)

We could open the camera following the instructions here or look the next photos.

We can use a little screwdriver to open the round plastic cover.

Unbolt the 4 little bolts. And carefully we take the little ball from the spring on the side.

Open the cover and remove the round plastic around the lens from the cover (pressing to the inside)

Use the CPL filter LIEQI LQ-005B and one rubber washer to adjust in the thread to put in the cover.

This is the most difficult part. We can use a little flat screw to push the lens in the sides with the rubber washer (Measures: External diameter 23mm. Internal diameter 15 mm. Width 1,90 mm) into the hole from the cover little by little.

I preffer the washer method because if vignetting appears you can move the filter to erase. There is more possibility to adjust with the rubber washer to avoid vignetting.

Ok. Now you have installed the CPL filter. ;)

A better and easy option instead of put a rubber washer would be to put a plastic nut or something similar.

Installing a heatsink on the Ambarella A7 chip.

I used a heatsink from a TV CRT mainboard (transistor heatsink). You can use a piece of aluminum or if you use copper, better.

These measures work fine on my 0803. To prevent, you can eliminate the red zone to avoid problems touching the jack female connector.

Put a thin layer of thermal grease (not in the corners). To stick the heatsink we can use 4 very little drops of superglue in the corners of the IC (use a toothpick to apply the glue). Keep pushed the heatsink and wait to dry it.

Now there is a little space between the PCBs (I think the guilty is the jack female connector) but the cover fits right and it works fine.

Assemble the PCBs and turn on the camera to assure that vignetting does not appear. If everything is OK , clean the lens and assemble the cover, the bolts, the little ball and the rest. Enjoy.

The good thing about this, is the lens cover is perfect to avoid scratches when I put in the pocket and that it seems original from the camera's manufacturer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good and makes it looks part of the camera. Do you have any sample videos to compare against. I am wondering if there is any quality degradation from fitting the filter in this way?

Sorry I haven't samples to compare. Always there is a minimal degradation in quality, even in the Canon cameras with expensive filters.
In my dashcamera I see the images with the same quality than before to put on the filter.

Last edited:
2 years later and my camera is working on, The CPL filter turned black to golden (the guilty is the Spanish Sun). The camera is a little melted and I changed the battery several times. I hope it works more years ;)

img.php

Last edited:
Back